8 Rounds per Sec - with a Revolver...

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by JoeCivvie, Mar 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I posted this on the Teen/Glock thread in the NAAFI, but thought it was worth its own thread.

Jerry Miculek is a pro-shooter for S & W, and I saw him shoot at a couple of the Pistol Anno Dominis at Bisley. He was wondrously fast - have a look at this demo shot in the US where he shoots 8 rounds in a second:

In case you were wondering, he was accurate, too. I spoke to him after one of his Bisley demos and handled the .45 S & W he was using - the trigger pull was the same as my S & W 586. Amazing shooter.

(Imagine what he could do with an SLR???)
  2. He's pretty amazing.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point out that he couldn't do it if he was freezing cold, piss wet through, bunged up on compo and suffering from 58 patt sleeping bag feathers under his foreskin.

Oh, and been shot back at.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Feckin hell!
  4. My fingers cant move that fast (much to the disappointment of her indoors)
  5. I can't be bothered to read the whole thread...

But has anybody pointed out that he couldn't do it if he was freezing cold, piss wet through, bunged up on compo and suffering from 58 patt sleeping bag feathers under his foreskin?

Oh, and been shot back at.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Is this a new trend? Vicarious posting.
  7. When I got up this morning, I had a shower and refreshed my body after a weekend of laughing and drinking with my mates.

After dressing, I made myself a good hearty breakfast, washed down with two large mugs of tea then made my way to the office by way of the post box.

Flicking through the post, which surprisingly, had little in the way of brown enveloped bills, I came across a hand written envelope. I didn't recognise the handwriting and decided to put it to one side whilst I dealt with the business side of the small pile of letters.

Having satisfied my professional obligations, by drafting out replies to the various individuals that had written to me, and checking my emails, I decided to take a break.

I'm on that break now.
  8. Question for the other pistol shooters out there - when I used to shoot revolver I occasionally got the odd instantaneous double tap. I can't remember the term for what happened - maximing, parabelluming - something like that. I believe that's what Mr. Miculek is harnessing to get his speed. Any comments?
  9. I don't want to snear at his performance, but a certain Ed McGivern did a lot faster than that in the 30s. He could empty a 6 shot revolver in less than 1/2 a second. That equals a cyclic rate comparable to an SMG.
  10. A commendably productive day so far A&M. That you can find time to post for that lazy bugger Munter Hunter is amazing. You are a human dynamo ( or alternator - somebody's bound to chip in with some leccie shit). ;-)
  11. Ah... the 1930s, those were the days. Everything was better and time was measured with sand. Bliss.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Miculek is on the sportsman channel regularly here and he is awesome. I watched him doing demo's at the shot show up against his protimer and he was drawing from holster and dry firing in under .69 of a second. I manage just around under a second when I have been practicing for about half an hour to warm up but he can do it cold.

Ed McGivern had a unique approach to shooting targets. It is also the method that Bill Rogers has adopted and teaches at his Shooting School. As we know the classic approach is to acquire your target THEN to squeeze the trigger being surprised as the shot is released and then followed through. Not McGiverns way.

McGivern used to throw multiple marble sized clay balls in the air and shoot them all before they hit the ground. He achieved this by not focusing on the clay ball, or whatever, as the target but focusing instead on a particular small feature of the target to ensure accuracy. The speed is achieved by not waiting until you have a sight picture before starting trigger movement. Instead you are already moving the trigger as you steer the weapon to the target finally releasing the shot in that moment the target is in the sight picture and not stopping as you move to engage the next target.

Bill Rogers started as a competitive skeet shooter and understood the key to depressing the trigger as you moved toward a clay and then releasing the shot as the sight covered the target. He won two state skeet championships and was very successfully on the USA USPSA team using this method. If you look on youtube under Rogers shooting school you will find some vids of his pistol training targetting system. His automated target system is totally based around human reaction time for the target situation that is presented to the shooter - so if science says that a single target reaction time should be .5 of a second then that is all you get and no quarter is given the times are set and you shoot accordingly...........or not. Bill starts you off with .22 revolvers to get you used to moving the trigger as you steer towards the target so that it becomes second nature. As an example, Bill gives you 1.5 seconds from the holster to drop a single 8" target, and 1.75 seconds for 2 targets - the Federal Govt and all its associated agencies train to 2.5 seconds for a single hole somewhere on a paper man target.

The Rogers course has a possible high score of 125. Basic = 75, Intermediate = 90, Advanced = 110. I got intermediate and am going back twice this year to kill the advanced. It is the most testing shooting course I have experienced and provides the shooter with the ultimate test of ability which is why for 30 years the SEAL's, Green Berets, Secret Service and a few other shhhhh groups have been going to Bill for their training. When I was there last year there was a member of the S&W factory team there polishing up their speed...........comforting to watch them fail as magnificently as oneself.

Check this out for a magazine change, yes he does actually change the mag.

The fastest clip you'll probably ever see. - YouTube
  13. That is quick.
  14. How many mags would you mash before getting that kind of speed I wonder