8 NATO Troops Killed in Southern Afghanistan

#1
Kabul – Eight NATO troops died in a series of bombings targeting troops in southern Afghanistan, the International Security Assistant Force (ISAF) said Friday.

The first attack occurred Thursday when an improvised explosive device (IED) detonated, killing three troops, ISAF said in a statement. A fourth soldier died early Friday in a separate "insurgent attack."

Later Friday, four more troops were killed in another IED attack in southern Afghanistan, a statement said.

ISAF did not release the nationalities of any of the eight soldiers. The protocol is for further details about the incidents to be released by the soldiers' home countries.

Faced with overwhelming allied superiority in numbers and firepower, the Taliban largely avoid direct combat, relying instead on roadside bombs, small ambushes and hit-and-run tactics to harass NATO and government forces.

Some 130,000 U.S.-led troops are fighting an insurgency by hardline Taliban Islamists against the Western-backed government of President Hamid Karzai in Afghanistan. In 2011, more than 560 foreign troops died in the conflict.
 

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
#3
SOURCE Agence france Presse

GHAZNI: Taliban bombers killed five Polish soldiers in an attack on their convoy in Afghanistan on Wednesday, one of the heaviest single losses for Warsaw’s Nato contingent in the 10-year war.

Poland’s news agency PAP cited unnamed government officials as saying the troops died when a roadside bomb exploded next to a Nato convoy.
When contacted by AFP, a spokesman for Polish forces in Afghanistan refused to issue an official comment “pending notification of the families of the victims”.
Poland has 2,600 soldiers in Afghanistan and is one of the largest contributors to Nato’s US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), which expects to withdraw all combat troops by the end of 2014.

In Kabul, ISAF confirmed that five Nato soldiers were killed in an attack in the southeastern province of Ghazni, where Polish troops are responsible for security, but declined to release their nationalities in keeping with policy.

Ghazni provincial police chief Dilawar Zahid said the attack took place in the Rawza area of Ghazni city at 11:30 am.
He confirmed casualties, but could not give an exact number.

A witness told AFP that an ISAF vehicle had been “totally destroyed” and saw helicopters evacuating casualties.

The Taliban claimed responsibility in a text message spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid sent to AFP. He claimed the Taliban had targeted a Polish convoy and killed several Nato soldiers, without providing any evidence.

Wednesday’s killings bring to 36 Poland’s death toll from the conflict in Afghanistan, where 140,000 US-led foreign troops are fighting a decade-long Taliban insurgency and supporting Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s government.

Poland first sent forces to Afghanistan in March 2002, shortly after the Taliban regime collapsed following the 2001 US-led invasion.
Western capitals have started to withdraw combat troops from Afghanistan as part of plans to transfer increasing responsibility for security to Afghans.
Stand easy fellers.
 

Latest Threads

Top