8,000 soldiers called up to police next year's London Olympic Games

At last, a use for LONDIST.

Journalism reporting a high ranking insider or some bloke in a suit, and an MoD spokesman, if a real Spokesman they have a name, having said that I will volunteer myself to look after Jessica Ennis

£10 to HoH if we make it through the 2012 Olympics without one of the following somewhere in the UK:

1)Riots.

2)Mumbai-style or CBRN attack.

3)Someone going Full Norwegian.

£10 to HoH if we make it through the 2012 Olympics without one of the following somewhere in the UK:

1)Riots.

Some of those may be preventable if we prevent armed police shooting each other at stop and searches

Well between that and Conrad Cock, just 7,998 to go then. And all before victory is declared in Afghan in 2015 as well.
And as a cost saving measure the US has let us have that splendid "Mission Accomplished" banner that Dubya posed in front of so courageously. ( I do apologise, I haven't taken my anti-cynicism tablets today and there is no ready access to booze.)

I heard it was actually 11000...and may even involve the TAs

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
To be honest, i have thought for a while that this might be a useful thing for the TA - instead of two weeks in Cyprus/catterick/dartmoor etc, have the annual camp at the olympic venues.

I am not talking about the TA doing some kind of armed response, that (rightly) is the role of the police primarily, and SF/regular troops. The TA troops could be useful local security/stewards etc in the same way the armed forces have done at Wimbledon etc (apart from on a MUCH smaller scale!)

I heard it was actually 11000...and may even involve the TAs
I'm TA and I have already put my name down to police the women's beach volleyball. It's gonna be hell out there!

The 'feelers' came down the CoC ages ago. I dunno if I'll make it as clashes with another ongoing 'international fixture' in my diary so I may have to let a 'key enabler' walt it up in my absence.

Nothing is set in stone yet.

To be honest, i have thought for a while that this might be a useful thing for the TA - instead of two weeks in Cyprus/catterick/dartmoor etc, have the annual camp at the olympic venues.

I am not talking about the TA doing some kind of armed response, that (rightly) is the role of the police primarily, and SF/regular troops. The TA troops could be useful local security/stewards etc in the same way the armed forces have done at Wimbledon etc (apart from on a MUCH smaller scale!)
It's been mooted, names taken. No decision as yet.

IIRC one of the LONDIST Unit's in question were warned off a while ago in ref to this (unless i'm corrected)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

1)Riots.

That's what I like about you - you're ever the optimist.