7th Regiment of Dragoon Guards

I was plugging in family names to see what might come up. A piece from the War Office 17 Nov 1854 did.
Mentions an RSM D**** S******* being appointed Quartermaster, and Curnet (Curnot?) without purchase. Then Curnet D**** S******* to be Adjutant.

I can't find what a Curnet is? (a rank of some sort) Anyone know?

Cornet. 2nd Lieutenant in a Cavalry regiment.

OK that makes sense, and what I thought. The print which is an actual copy of the War Department announcements though, does actually spell it Curnet. Probably an old spelling.

Before making the first post I did some searches using different spellings, but nothing relevant came up.
Now of course a search for Cornet does. It looks like in 1854 it was 'worth' £840.

Also, as most of you already know:

A troop of cavalry may also be called a cornet, so called from its being accompanied by a cornet player.

Until 1871, when the office was abolished, cornet was the lowest grade of commissioned officer in a British cavalry troop, who carried the standard, also known as a cornet. The rank was abolished at the same time that the purchase of commission in the army was abolished in the army reform bill of 1871.

Sometimes a Warrent Officer could be commissioned without having to purchase it. Some commissioned appointments were reserved for commissionedWarrent ofificers - Quartermaster and Riding Mster. But some seem to have joined as "Regimental Officers. For example, William Robertson jopinedthe Hussars as a trooper in the 1870s. After ten years he was was commissioned as a Cornet from WO2. He then went on to a distinguished career rising to become CIGS and FieldMarshal.

I don't think it would be possible for anyone to follow that career path now in these supposedly more eglatarian times..

Pteranadon said:

I don't think it would be possible for anyone to follow that career path now in these supposedly more eglatarian times..
That is unfortunate. Sometimes 'modernisation', is stifling.