7th Regiment of Dragoon Guards

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RCSignals, Dec 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was plugging in family names to see what might come up. A piece from the War Office 17 Nov 1854 did.
    Mentions an RSM D**** S******* being appointed Quartermaster, and Curnet (Curnot?) without purchase. Then Curnet D**** S******* to be Adjutant.

I can't find what a Curnet is? (a rank of some sort) Anyone know?

2. It's a 'Cornet' - the junior subaltern in the Regiment.

QRH still have this appointment, and there are bound to be others.

3. Cornet. 2nd Lieutenant in a Cavalry regiment.

4. A Cornet is a popular brand of ice cream. But also the junior commissioned rank of cavalry officer in days gone by.

5. OK that makes sense, and what I thought. The print which is an actual copy of the War Department announcements though, does actually spell it Curnet. Probably an old spelling.

6. Before making the first post I did some searches using different spellings, but nothing relevant came up.
    Now of course a search for Cornet does. It looks like in 1854 it was 'worth' £840.

Also, as most of you already know:

7. Sometimes a Warrent Officer could be commissioned without having to purchase it. Some commissioned appointments were reserved for commissionedWarrent ofificers - Quartermaster and Riding Mster. But some seem to have joined as "Regimental Officers. For example, William Robertson jopinedthe Hussars as a trooper in the 1870s. After ten years he was was commissioned as a Cornet from WO2. He then went on to a distinguished career rising to become CIGS and FieldMarshal.

I don't think it would be possible for anyone to follow that career path now in these supposedly more eglatarian times..

8. That is unfortunate. Sometimes 'modernisation', is stifling.