7Q's Q1

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by swampmonster, Nov 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Question 1, the "What are the Enemy doing and why ?"

Thought it changed in 2010(ish) to

"Has the Situation changed and how does that effect me?"

Reason i ask is most of the 7Q's teaching packs still seem to hark to the old one?

Was the change an Op's thingy? as first time I got the new one was on a MST package run by 16AA..
  2. Just checking the App....What is the situation and how does it affect me?......like you says IIRC it changed fairly recently.
  3. Still being taught the old one for TACC.
  4. Hi Boxy old bean,Just thought I would throw the question out to see if there has been a release of a new teaching pack we have might have missed.....
  5. There you go. 7Qs
  6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Mission Command?

Presumably the Army is in the habit of finding itself in places where there may not be an enemy but there is always a situation (and an appreciation which you can readily park there).

7. Thats the badger....many thanks
  8. The Defence Academy recently (2010ish I think) published a suggested update to the 7Qs, in the shape of a draft replacement chapter for the SOHB. This included rewording some of the questions, including Q1 which became: "What is the situation and how does it effect me?" Currently I don't believe that this version of the 7Qs has been officially endorsed into doctrine, but is generally accepted as the way to go, hence the reason you see both new and old versions kicking about in official material. Personally, I quite like the "new" version and I think it is more easily applied to a wider range of problems. You should also note that there are a few adjustments in the process (behind the questions) if I recall correctly.
  9. Isn't it now:

"Have I still got a job and why?"
    • Like Like x 5
  10. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

TD Note 09/18 formally changed Qs 1 & 3, removing direct reference to 'enemy', and is the only authorised form of the 7Qs.
  11. I would imagine RMAS is using the new version then?
    ( yes being lazy here, to save the phone call and E Mail)
  12. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There is a draft version of the new TAM available online. It contains the new seven questions, plus an 'improved' orders process that's much harder to use. I also have a copy of the LWC handbook which contains the new questions, so it looks like it has become doctrine.

The process behind the questions will depend on whether the estimate is being performed at length in an HQ or by a Pl Comd under a poncho in the rain. In the case of the latter, the process has changed slightly (particularly regarding Q3) but is very similar to the old format. In the case of the former, they seemingly make the estimate more formalised and difficult to use every month so I wouldn't know which changes were 'new' anyway.
  13. Would it be unseemly to point out that Q1 is, in fact, two questions?