75th Rangers will take SCAR to war

Discussion in 'US' started by Trip_Wire, May 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

75th Rangers will take SCAR to war

By Matthew Cox - Staff writer
    Posted : Tuesday May 12, 2009 11:01:33 EDT

About 600 members of the 75th Ranger Regiment will soon take the Special Operations Combat Assault Rifle into battle.

The 600 SCARs are the first of 1,800 that U.S. Special Operations Command began fielding in early April, SOCom spokeswoman Air Force Maj. Denise Boyd told Army Times.

SOCom chose the SCAR system — which consists of the 5.56mm MK16 and the 7.62mm MK17 — to replace weapons including the 5.56mm M4A1 carbine, made by Colt Defense LLC.

2. tut.......they are soooooooooooooooo COD4! Tsssk
  3. I've never understood why all the various SOCOM units need a zillion different types of rifle.

Some use the M4, now some are switching to the SCAR and then you've the likes of Delta insisting on using their own HK416.

Why not have just one standardised assault rifle across the board??

Seems an awful lot of money and resources being needlessly wasted with no real benefit.
  4. Welcome to the US Army, where wasting Money is our Middle name.

Currently we have on Issue the M16A2 Rifle, M16A4(Flattop), M4 Carbine(Burst), M4A1 Carbine(Full Auto Cap-SOCOM only), Hk 416, SCAR.

Shiney things mentality, basically.......
  5. SCAR...posh SLR/FN FAL/FNC with twiddly bits, basically.........
  6. its a Gucci looking 5.56 rifle so not anything more wonderufl
  7. The SCAR seems like a solid enough rifle, but I can't really see anything earth-shattering about it. The the ability to change its barrels in the field seems nice, although I'm not sure how useful it actually is, since I'm not in the Special Operations community and don't really know their needs. Other than that, nothing really special, so I tend towards the opinion that it's not really necessary and just another waste of money. Special Operations guys, feel free PM me and pontificate upon the various advantages the SCAR offers if you feel it necessary.
  8. Maybe it's just a different rifle and every unit wants to be different...

That said our SF use the Diemarco rather than the IW, and after managing to use one on an interest shoot I'm all in favour, v gucci :D

Too many rifles in the US system for me to keep track of - worst seems to be their 'designated marksman' rifles (SR25?) as well as the SF ones - endless versions of M16 type rifles or other 5.56 rifles - surely they all fire the same round and have much the same effect...
  9. I think its one of the Allyest looking weapons around. Of course, not being involved in Special Operations/Special Forces I have absolutely no idea of whether its any good as a weapon, but I bet all the old boys would be like 'Its sort of like an SLR, I wants it!'
  10. Oh yes, indeed! :D
  11. I love the states so many diffrent weapons to play with.