75th anniversary of Dresden bombing....

The second wave of bombing clinched this as a premeditated attack on a civilian population. The marshalling yards etc fair game, but the use of the incendiary devices in civvy areas jars.

The irony of the whole thing is that 75 years on the far right in Germany are using the Dresden bombing as a rallying call for the misguided. Far from disparaging Nazi ideology the bombing does much to perpetuate it.
meh.....

it’s war, you want the bloody city to burn, not smoulder enthusiastically.

BFO 4,000lb blast bombs to smash the water mains and take all the tiles off, sprinkle liberally with thermite and napalm firebombs that get inside the buildings.

leave to cook for a few hours, then send in the fighters to brass up the rescue services you know will be on their way, then repeat first stage.

The RAF were masters of city smashing by 1945..... whirlwinds sown and reaped on demand.

Last edited:
If you get a chance dig into the BBC Radio 2, Jeremy Vine, back programmes for last week Thursday (I think) and listen to the interview with Victor Gregg.

Mr Gregg, now 100 years old, signed up for the army at 18 years of age in 1937, he was at El Alamein, Arnhem and was a POW in Dresden on the night the bombs dropped.

In his interview he speaks of time in 10 Para, parachuting into Arnhem, where he was captured after a week of fighting. He was transferred to a work camp in Dresden where on the night of the raid he was actually sitting in pokey awaiting a firing squad the next morning. He and his mucker had been sent on a work detail and had fed sacks of cement into the factory machinery to bugger it up - the result was an immediate death sentence for sabotage. One of the first round of bombs blew up their prison destroying the walls, sadly killing Mr Greggs mate.

He tells a pretty short, but epic tale, well worth digging out for a listen. He has also written a short book on the bombing, entitled: Dresden: A survivors story.

Here you go have a listen starts at about 1:09.00: BBC Radio 2 - Jeremy Vine, Fly-tipping and Engagement rings

Respect to a fellow Rifleman but I do wonder what he would had written about Dresden if he had been one of the first to liberate Belsen?

Nornironman.

I noticed that you never commented on the 3 massacres of Jewish Men, women and children, that had larger death rates than Dresden.... yep, the hyper inflated casualties of Dresden.

Luckily for us, the Germans kept very good records of who they shot...maybe to show their bosses what good little murderers they were? So, historians and researchers can far more accurately quote figures, rather than rely on your self indulged churlish sentiment built on lies and myths.

To pathetically whinge about Dresden while ignoring other deaths elsewhere , show's skewed reasoning and makes you argument worthless.....,

Anyhoo, you bolloxs about hanging your head in shame is pathetic , sanctimonious rhetoric , usually bought on by those seeking attention.

Sad old tw@t

For those of you with any empathy left after being made to feel sorry for the poor Germans today is the 78th anniversary of the bombing of Darwin by the Japanese, another country that didn't think through the long term consequences of bombing cities

For those of you with any empathy left after being made to feel sorry for the poor Germans today is the 78th anniversary of the bombing of Darwin by the Japanese, another country that didn't think through the long term consequences of bombing cities

......and also behaved like animals wherever they went

What's the old saying ?
" People in wood and paper houses shouldn't throw incendiaries " , or something like that .

syrup

LE
Nornironman.

I noticed that you never commented on the 3 massacres of Jewish Men, women and children, that had larger death rates than Dresden.... yep, the hyper inflated casualties of Dresden.

Luckily for us, the Germans kept very good records of who they shot...maybe to show their bosses what good little murderers they were? So, historians and researchers can far more accurately quote figures, rather than rely on your self indulged churlish sentiment built on lies and myths.

To pathetically whinge about Dresden while ignoring other deaths elsewhere , show's skewed reasoning and makes you argument worthless.....,

Anyhoo, you bolloxs about hanging your head in shame is pathetic , sanctimonious rhetoric , usually bought on by those seeking attention.

Sad old tw@t

Dresden's remaining Jews were due to be deported on the 15th
The raid flattened the Gestapo headquarters and the Jews took the opportunity to flee the area and mix in with the other refugees.
When they got to safety they claimed they had lost all their docs and were issued new ones in made up names.
They of course failed to mention they were Jewish

Respect to a fellow Rifleman but I do wonder what he would had written about Dresden if he had been one of the first to liberate Belsen?

Dirk Bogarde, the film actor, was one of the first into Belsen, he said many years later, that if he entered a lift and it had Germans in it, he got out. He found it very hard to tell his account of what he found saw and smelt in the camp, and in one TV interview he broke down and wept. He was a commissioned officer.

Having been intrigued by the Bomber Command campaign for years, I have several large book shelves full of books on the subject. Where possible, I've tried to get autobiographical books from shortly after the war. With all due respect to the veterans concerned, if you co-author a book in your late 80's or 90's, your memory is much dimmed by the passage of time.

Wordsmith
Yes, I found that pretty well much the same with Far East POW books.
Many of those that were written in the aftermath of the war were for their cathartic value but none the less harrowing for that.
From the '70s onwards, many showed the signs of collective memory (ie happened to someone else), or had the hallmarks of a ghost-writer's own input with a view to bolstering sales.

syrup

LE
Dirk Bogarde, the film actor, was one of the first into Belsen, he said many years later, that if he entered a lift and it had Germans in it, he got out. He found it very hard to tell his account of what he found saw and smelt in the camp, and in one TV interview he broke down and wept. He was a commissioned officer.

I would be a bit sceptical about Bogarde's wartime recollections he has found in later life to be a bit "waltish"
He also claimed to be at Arnhem and a couple of other significant battles / incidents.

Erik Sykes the comedian / writer IIRC was actually at Belson.

Latest Threads