75th anniversary of Dresden bombing....

I never knew today was the 75th anniversary of RAF & USAAF bombing Dresden

Should we have organised a BBQ or something to mark the day ?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I never knew today was the 75th anniversary of RAF & USAAF bombing Dresden

Should we have organised a BBQ or something to mark the day ?
The snowflakes who complain of the Bombing don't mention that Jerry was pounding London with V1s and V2 at that time.
Are you putting out invites for the B b Q!

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put that rather naïve theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

-Arthur "Bomber" Harris.

The snowflakes who complain of the Bombing don't mention that Jerry was pounding London with V1s and V2 at that time.
Are you putting out invites for the B b Q!
I also notice that it seems to only be Bomber Command who gets all the blame for Dresden, and the 8th AAF come away clean.

It grips my shit that the Germans make a big deal of this commemoration. It’s the “Germans as victims” shite which prompted the stupid cunts to kick off in 1939.
They started a war, they did unbelievably bad shit, they got some back. Boo fucking hoo.
They should remember Guernica, Rotterdam, Coventry, London and countless other places they trashed before clinging onto this as a means of deflecting. They attempt to classify Dresden as a war crime, it wasn’t - it was perfectly justified and it was war: war of their own making.
And it wasn’t “The Nazis” it was “The Germans.”

I only know cause I saw the regional news on the Beeb,

"The British RAF started the bombing of Dresden today" or similar

With B&W footage of the USAAF flying right high up!

I assume it would have started at dark o'clock with the RAF, when the day came the USAAF continued when it got dark again the brave but pale lads of Bomber command returned to the party

There has been a lot written about it, most of it nonsense. They said oh Harris did it and he shouldn't have! Well he was in the military if the government wanted him to stop they only had to tell him once. Also this raid was no different to many of the other heavy bomber raids on other cities.

This was a response to the bombing of Coventry, right or wrong, it showed Nazi Germany that we don’t take sh1te.
No it was supposed to destroy the Germans mind set . The excuse was Dresden was a hub for transport , which it was. So trains from the ost were routed through there.

Did it help the war end early . No.

Was it worthwhile, sorry but I say yes.

If Hitler was not quite as mad and the Allies said ...

‘Give up or we will do the same to Berlin “ He might have thought about it but as said he was madder than a bag of wasps,cats and honey badgers at that time.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
  1. The Germans created a verb, to Coventry (koventrieren), to flatten a city.
  2. After the Bulge, the bloody remnants of 6. SS Panzerarmee (centre, strike, army, Battle of the Bulge) went to Lake Balaton to try and keep Budapest from falling to the Russians and Hitler losing his last ally. That force was in sidings going to (coming back from?) Budapest and was on flat cars in sidings in Dresden that night. Which made Dresden a valid military target.
Suck it up, Snowflake.

Last edited:
Ah, this ol' chestnut.... luv it.

The poor Germans, yada, yada , yada.

Dresden, Hyper inflated casualty rate used for years to make us feel guilty/sorry for them in order that we could say 'Hey, they suffered too' , and think of them as 'normal fellow Europeans like us who were just victims....now lets fight the Sovs together.'

Slight problem though, it was all bollox as recent research as shown. Even the most popular rag in Deutschland admitted it awhile back

Death Toll Debate: How Many Died in the Bombing of Dresden? - DER SPIEGEL - International

Let's not mention the 3 separate massacres of Jews alone that i can think of that had a higher death rate, committed deliberately, with bullets

I do not personally regard the whole of the remaining cities of Germany as worth the bones of one British Grenadier. It therefore seems to me that there is one and only one valid argument on which a case for giving up strategic bombing could be based, namely that it has already completed its task and that nothing now remains for the Armies to do except to occupy Germany against unorganized resistance.

Sir Arthur Harris, 1st Baronet

People quickly forget that WWII was total war. Every German was a part of the German war machine and Bomber command was just one of the tools used to crush it. As has been said Harris was in uniform and therefore taking orders from above. If Churchill et al thought bombing the big cities was wrong, they could have stoped it with a simple order.

Yokel

LE
I am sure that Dresden was also a centre for a war related industry. I think it was @Maple that pointed this out.

Total War means just that. Why judge the decision makers of the time with the benefit of seventy five years of hindsight?

GobblyWobbly

Clanker
Should we feel guilty for our grandfathers actions? Has our present generation leaned from history?

My understanding is, in hindsight, two wrongs do not make a right!

However, that was the mindset at the time. You target civilians, we will reply accordingly.

Dresden was Arthur Bomber Harris reply to the bombing of civilians in the UK. Strangely, he is most hated in Hamburg for destroying the city which WAS a military target. No brothels were harmed in this incident!

There has been a lot written about it, most of it nonsense. They said oh Harris did it and he shouldn't have! Well he was in the military if the government wanted him to stop they only had to tell him once. Also this raid was no different to many of the other heavy bomber raids on other cities.
From the warhorses mouth...

Latest Threads