747 Survives Blast

Unpressurised 747 fusilage with doors open in bomb blast survival shocker; still able to fly says 'expert':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/8548021.stm

Anybody want to tell them what's wrong with their methodology?

apart from the doors being open and the plane being on the ground you mean?

edited for mong spelling.

So now the ********* have told the Terrorists they need larger amount of He to do the job, brilliant

theoriginalphantom said:
apart from the doors being open and the plan being on the ground you mean?
Well yeah; the clue was in my 'unpressurised.. with doors open' comment.

...too much sarcasm? I can never tell.

The full program is on BBC2 at 2000 tonight

So what they're saying is that is an aircrew ever has reason to suspect that there's a bomb aboard, the IA drills should be to de-pressurise the interior and open all the doors?

No doubt the operation would be a complete success, assuming you don't take into account the patient's status.

tropper66 said:
So now the ********* have told the Terrorists they need larger amount of He to do the job, brilliant
Exactly how thick do you think the bad guys are? I spent three years doing a degree in which missile guidance systems were a big part of the syllabus - the top marks in any exam generally went to the students from Iraq, Iran, and Jordan.

Just because they wrap rags round their heads and their head honchos tend to be lunatics does not make their brains go all mushy.

Dragstrip said:
theoriginalphantom said:

Personally not enough sarcasm Dragstrip take it up another notch. But I did giggle at the "logic"(?)

Dragstrip said:
theoriginalphantom said:

(I replied with an equal amount of sarcasm... the clue is in the signature block..)

don't forget the lack of other passengers in the aircraft

and the lack of interior to the aircraft

The unlucky person/persons all around the bomber would get killed. I thought the windows would of been instantly broke as they are not made of glass.

Again, not being up a high alt and it being pressurised.

Boeing 747-400's would normally fly at 30,000 ft - 40,000ft.

Having just watched the clip, i popped in here to see if there was a discussion.

Good to see you guys have it covered.

to sum up; complete crap, and the testers knew it i suspect, but sold their souls for a bit of TV time.

It also serves a purpose to reassure passengers of safety fears. All incredibly misleading.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I caught the last few minutes of this programme where the 'experienced' Air Accident Investigator was saying that he believed the aircraft would survive the explosion and that the pilots would be able to land the a/c.

I have to say, I was let somewhat unconvinced :|

GoodIdeaAtTheTime said:
tropper66 said:
Exactly how thick do you think the bad guys are? I spent three years doing a degree in which missile guidance systems were a big part of the syllabus - the top marks in any exam generally went to the students from Iraq, Iran, and Jordan.

Just because they wrap rags round their heads and their head honchos tend to be lunatics does not make their brains go all mushy.
What I meant was that after last night program a couple of chidren with a box of fire works could now know how to take out an aircraft, your not the only one who has studied with ragheads in a British university, without there financial input most would be bankrupt

21 seconds in, you can see several windows either side of the 'ripple' collapsing inwards and pressumable being held in place by trim....... I wouldn't want to be on any aircraft with the resulting bloody great big hole above the wingbox :)

tropper66 said:
They already knew that... They're brighter minds than you think.

Closet_Jibber said:
tropper66 said:
What it actually told them was they had it about right. If the aircraft had been at altitude and pressurised the outcome would have been much different.
Thankfully they have the knack of falling at the last hurdle, hopefully they will continue to do so.

old_n_fat said:
Closet_Jibber said:
tropper66 said:
What it actually told them was they had it about right. If the aircraft had been at altitude and pressurised the outcome would have been much different.
Thankfully they have the knack of falling at the last hurdle, hopefully they will continue to do so.
True - To some extent.