'71: Up coming film about the Troubles

Thoughts so far

Could have got a bigger cap badge
I never went home in no2s, did that happen in this days?
Wouldn't play football in my bulled boots

Must remember it's only a film :)

well I wouldn't watch it twice.
yes its a film but I expect a lot of people would take it as gospel, it just got a bit silly for me.

out of interest we where looping rifle slings on our wrists in 1978 in case our SLR was snatched.
attached to the butt of the rifle not the front as I saw some do.

I've googled old photos but cant work out when we first started doing that?
good idea who ever thought it out.

Watched a film called outpost 37, set in the near future after an alien invasion and the combined earth force of outpost 37 where cutting about in a pig. Wasn't a bad film, low budget so not to be taken seriously, spotters would hate it

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Watched a film called outpost 37, set in the near future after an alien invasion and the combined earth force of outpost 37 where cutting about in a pig. Wasn't a bad film, low budget so not to be taken seriously, spotters would hate it

I cant work out if that's a non sequitur or just a massive drift away from talking about NI o_O

Watched it on a plane. Didn't actually cringe that much and didn't turn it off either

Just the Pig connection. (They obviously couldn't afford a Sarrycan...:)) Aliens would get short shift in Norn Iron.. (depending on religious affiliation and the area they landed in)

Aye just a pig connection

Watched it a couple of weeks ago...For all the good detail in the the film, the storyline was quite fantastical. It ludicrously portrays the military as absolutely inept and, the intelligence gathering services carrying out their role very oddly...Give it a watch, you'll see what I mean. However, taken as a piece of fiction, not a bad waste of a couple of hours I suppose?

Well to be fair in those days information on players was non existent with the only IRA men on the radar those who'd been involved in the Anglo-Irish war and border campaign . What I did like about this film is that it shows the friction between the Provisional and Official wings of the IRA . If you want a bad film featuring The Troubles try The Devils Own which starts with hunky Brad Pitt taking on a Brit armoured Brigade single handed

SpudGunny

War Hero
Just the Pig connection. (They obviously couldn't afford a Sarrycan...:)) Aliens would get short shift in Norn Iron.. (depending on religious affiliation and the area they landed in)

Reminds me about that old joke about Martians crash landing on the Garvaghy Rd.

" Don't shoot lads! We're Martian!"

" Oh aye? Not up this road, yer not!"

BigT

LE
How surprised was I to see the top end of the road I grew up on and another round the corner from where I work used as locations, my daughter hasn't let a day go by without pointing out that I used to live in a street that can pass for Belfast in the 1970's.

ugly

LE
There were many streets in West Belfast far better than any I had lived in when the family lived in Manchester, some of our lads from Leeds were surprised how smart Ballymurphy looked compared to Chapeltown or Middleton

syrup

LE
There were many streets in West Belfast far better than any I had lived in when the family lived in Manchester, some of our lads from Leeds were surprised how smart Ballymurphy looked compared to Chapeltown or Middleton

Harrys Game was filmed in Chapletown

Latest Threads