70th Anniversary of the Yangtze Incident

Today 20th April is the 70th anniversary of the Yangtze Incident when a British warship HMS Amethyst was engaged by the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) whilst traveling from Shanghai to Nanking to replace HMS Consort which was acting as guard ship to the British Embassy.
66209550-8931-4F54-A10A-960FBF483E08.jpeg
6911B699-A350-4A06-B548-761E17CEB9ED.jpeg

Thanks for joining to tell us this.

I have been a member for quite some time but when the format changed this site wouldn't allow me to log on, so I rejoined.

Cracking film
The Chinese knew it was game over when Richard Todd turned up in a well pressed uniform and got everyone cleaning the ship.

Last edited:
Great film, I’m surprised it’s not being shown somewhere today.

Great film, I’m surprised it’s not being shown somewhere today.
I somewhat doubt it would be shown on Auntie.

It might offend someone.

ugly

LE
The Cold War was not entirely cold
It wasn't really a cold war action to be honest, we were in the way of a civil war, one that had been a long time in the making and as long in the fighting!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It wasn't really a cold war action to be honest, we were in the way of a civil war, one that had been a long time in the making and as long in the fighting!
Been going 50 years by that point

Don't forget to remember Simon, DM, the brave ship's cat. He kept the rats from devouring the ship's limited quantity of food and lifted the morale of the entire ship's company while they were undergoing their ordeal. He was awarded the Dickin Medal, the Blue Cross Medal, and the Naval General Service Medal with clasp.

Simon, DM Heroic Ship_s Cat.JPG
Simon_s ribbon Bar.JPG

Royal Navy commemorate the Yangtze Incident | Royal Navy

In April 1949, Amethyst, a Royal Navy sloop, was ordered to act as a guard ship for the British Embassy in Nanjing, east of Shanghai.

She came under heavy fire from the Chinese Communist People’s Liberation Army on the northern bank, killing 17 sailors and wounding ten, including captain, Lieutenant Commander Bernard Skinner, who later died.

First Lieutenant Geoffrey Weston assumed command and a number of rescue attempts were made, by HMS Consort, HMS London and HMS Black Swan, but were all forced back.

Eventually, the ship’s company re-floated their stranded vessel and Assistant Naval Attaché, Lieutenant Commander John Kerens, took command and established a truce with local Communist forces.

Conditions worsened but, under the cover of darkness, Amethyst re-joined the British Far East Fleet and arrived in Hong Kong after her three-month ordeal.