70 Year old American tourist kicks butt!

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Feb 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I visited Costa Rica, last year (2006) on a Princess tour. My wife and I took an all day tour there. We both liked the country and had no problems at all there. I'll be returning there in Sept. '07 on another Cruise to Panama and LA., CA Round trip.

As a fairly good defensive tactics person myself, I fail to see how a broken clavicle could kill anyone. I do know lots of ways to break a persons neck though. :cyclopsani:

See Link.:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/02/22/seniors.mugged.ap/index.html

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP) -- A tour group of U.S. senior citizens fought off a band of muggers in eastern Costa Rica, sending two of the assailants fleeing and killing a third, police said Thursday.

One of the tourists -- a retired U.S. serviceman whom officials estimated was in his 70s -- allegedly put Warner Segura in a headlock and broke his clavicle after the 20-year-old and two other men armed with a knife and gun held up their tour bus Wednesday, said Luis Hernandez, the police chief of Limon, 80 miles east of San Jose.

The Americans had arrived in Limon on the Carnival Cruise Lines ship Carnival Liberty.

"It was a group of 12 senior citizens from the United States who were going to spend a few hours in the area, but their tour bus entered a dangerous sector known as Cieneguita", Hernandez said.

The tourists drove Segura to the local Red Cross branch, but he was declared dead, Hernandez said. He declined to give the names or hometowns of the tourists.

The Red Cross also treated one of the tourists for an anxiety attack, Hernandez said.

Costa Rican authorities said they did not plan to file charges against the tourists, who left on their cruise ship after the incident.

"They were in their right to defend themselves after being held up," Hernandez said.

Hernandez said Segura had previous charges against him for assaults.

2. Good for him.

stab

3. Even better was the way the authorities dealt with it , no charge ... self defence. Now that is good drills

4. Good news TW.

5. Don't mess with Grandpa...

6. I read on Yahoo that while in the head lock he stopped breathing. But a good job for the old timer at any rate.

Binrat

7. Good skills that man. I too am impressed with the police reaction

8. well done that man

9. In this country he would have been arrested and banged up for excessive force and infringing the criminal's human rights! Even if found not guilty the criminal's family would have been entitled to file a civil case for compensation....

10. Who did you do on holiday Grandad?!. :thumright:

Maybe he had that choke on a tad to long (maybe that was the idea!). Good on them.
    I think the legal outcome would have been more negative for the defenders under the UK legal system :frustrated:

11. Imagine showing up in prision being "Yeah we were the guys who got our arrses kicked by a tour bus full of senior citizens"

That's pretty much a death sentence anyways.

12. Could be worse. Could be the guys who said, "we are the guys that elected Tony Bliar."

13. Yeah that would be a pretty harsh life missing out on all thoose drum circles and peace marches.

14. "We are the guys that elected George W Bush"