• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

7 Year Old Boy Fundraising for H4H

Couldn't see this anywhere on here.

Rhys Abernethy (Iain's 7 year old son) would like your help to help heroes | Iain Abernethy

Last year Rhys (my 7 year old son) saw a documentary on the plight of injured soldiers and it obviously had an effect. A couple of days later he was at swimming class and noticed poster for an event for the Help for Heroes charity. It is a charity that helps wounded servicemen and women and you can find more details below. Rhys announced that he wanted to do a sponsored swim to help. This was entirely his own idea, and being proud of him for thinking about the plight of others we helped him set it up.

He can be a very stubborn lad (a trait of his that I really admire, but don’t tell him I said that!) and, although the target was 64 lengths (1 mile), midway he decided to go for 100! At 72 lengths Helen insisted he stop as exhaustion was fully set in, but he was adamant he wanted to keep going! I’ve copied some text from the newspaper report of the event below.

As proud as he was of the £366 raised, Rhys decided it was not enough and announced he would be joining his uncle in a New-Year charity dip in the sea at Whitehaven docks. It was freezing cold but he ran straight in (see picture below) and raised another £200 (extracts from newspaper report copied below).

Rhys then said he had set himself the target of £1000 before he turned 8!
PS Rhys was interviewed by “Tim” for the British Forces Broadcasting Service this week. That interview will air this Sunday (16th of Jan) at breakfast (around 9:30 ish we were told). Those in the UK with satellite TV can listen to it on channel 0211.

Latest Threads