7 flight becomes 667 squadron

Then we also have media numpties referring to 'the Third Commando Brigade' (NO - THREE) or 'Forty Five' (NO - FOUR FIVE) Commando, or (in the old days) 'Eight hundred (th for added annoyance) naval air squadron' - (NO - EIGHT ZERO ZERO).

Sometimes people get so fed up they write it out longhand - FOUR FIVE CDO or EIGHT ZERO NINE NAS.

..and breathe...
I’ve only ever heard 800 being referred to as “eight hundred”.

(Or more accurately - those WAFU fûckers loafing off/dragging the chains above our heads…)

Yokel

LE
I’ve only ever heard 800 being referred to as “eight hundred”.

(Or more accurately - those WAFU fûckers loafing off/dragging the chains above our heads…)

I have seen career summaries with a reference to EIGHT FOUR NINE Naval Air Squadron and not 849. I remember being a JTEPS augmentee and listening to briefings referring to 'Forty' Commando and 'Eight Twenty Squadron'. Are there hard and fast rules?

Anyway, back on thread, are the 7 Flight/667 Sqn cabs the same as the 84 Sqn RAF ones in Cyprus? How can operating a small number of a unique aircraft type be cost effective?

Anyway, back on thread, are the 7 Flight/667 Sqn cabs the same as the 84 Sqn RAF ones in Cyprus? How can operating a small number of a unique aircraft type be cost effective?
I thought that the RAF ones were Bell 412's with the four blade roters. I read that all the British forces Bells although flown by service personnel are owned and maintained by a civilian company. The same as the Augusta 109's used to be.

I thought that the RAF ones were Bell 412's with the four blade roters. I read that all the British forces Bells although flown by service personnel are owned and maintained by a civilian company. The same as the Augusta 109's used to be.
Yes, and yes.

japseyewarrior

War Hero
The 212 and 412 are pretty common in civvy street so a fairly decent spares pool...in theory.

It was the crustacean fashion as well and arguably still is.

The 'Number' bit crept in to prevent the even more annoying habit of American authors referring to "617th 'Dambusters' Squadron" and even, God Help us '1st (F) Fighter Squadron' (although that was in something I was asked to proof read and the author received a robust and perhaps overly-detailed learning moment as a result. It didn't appear in print...)
A pet peeve of mine, as well as referring to the HMS, HMCS, HMAS, HMNZS anything.