7 Armoured Brigade Desert Rat patch

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
As a former participant in the unpleasantness in the Gulf back in 1991 I remember that the Jerboa patches we were given were right facing, the ‘rat’ was an orange colour and the patch itself was sewn on top of the right sleeve.

Now 7th Armoured Brigade is no more and it’s 7th Infantry Brigade these days it seems the ‘rat’ is now red, left facing and is worn on the left sleeve

However I saw that the QDG (light cavalry and definitely not infantry) continue to wear the jerboa patch on their smocks but on the left sleeve rather than the right as they did during the Gulf.

Is this now the norm for any Corps or regiment that was once part of 7th Armoured Brigade before the change in 2014?

arfah

ADC
I wore an orange desert rat in Kosovo, 2000 sewn onto the right sleeve.
What happened was a change in CS95 dress regs resulting in formation badges worn one sleeve and Cap-badge related TRF on t’other standardised across the army.

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
I wore an orange desert rat in Kosovo, 2000 sewn onto the right sleeve.
What happened was a change in CS95 dress regs resulting in formation badges worn one sleeve and Cap-badge related TRF on t’other standardised across the army.

Ahhhhhh right.

Makes sense.... thank you

Any reason they went from Orange to red that you know of?

exsniffer

War Hero
When the rat patch was reintroduced to 7 Armd Bde in 1981 it was worn on the right sleeve, the rat was red (definitely not orange)and faced forward.

arfah

ADC
Ahhhhhh right.

Makes sense.... thank you

Any reason they went from Orange to red that you know of?

In 2000, in Kosovo, the Brigade centred around 2RRF and RSG who wore red flashes. I was part of an attached formation (6 Regt RLC) and wore an Orange rat.
I don’t why?

Last edited:

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
In 2000, the Kosovo, the Brigade centred around 2RRF and RSG who wore red flashes. I was part of an attached formation (6 Regt RLC) and wore an Orange rat.
I don’t why?
Probably left over ones from the Gulf War.... ours were definitely orange because I found my old one on a shirt

The shirt seems to have mysteriously shrunk in the loft ... as have my old lightweights

Boxy

GCM
I’ve still got mine from Granby, agreed definitely orange, however I’ve also got a later red one, as you can see both facing the same way.
1C78C387-F3E1-46CC-B9D3-8E9BBAD9FC90.jpeg

Slight tangent.. But didn't 4th Armoured also wear the Jerboa flash?

Or am I getting a bit muddled.
4 Armd Bde had the Black Jerboa with the tail up the back instead of tucked underneath. 7 Armd Bde traditionally had the Green Jerboa, but for some reason decided in GW1 to nick the 7 Armd Div's Red Jerboa.

Latest Threads