7.62x51 / .308" ammunition recommendations?

For mine it seems to shoot best with the Sako, never had an issue loading any other brand or weight, just the PPU.

That's interesting about the PPU brass, I have some next door in the reloading den, I'll load up a few tonight and shoot them tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes, like yourself I also have a Tikka T3, it's a damn good rifle.

That's interesting about the PPU brass, I have some next door in the reloading den, I'll load up a few tonight and shoot them tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes, like yourself I also have a Tikka T3, it's a damn good rifle.
Can’t argue with that! Have one in .243 as well although it gets little use. I have a vague memory that I had a similar issue with PPU in that one as well, but maybe mixing up memories. Happens at my age.

For mine it seems to shoot best with the Sako, never had an issue loading any other brand or weight, just the PPU.

Loaded up twenty rounds of different bullet weights, five with the lowest powder load, five with with the next load up and five with the next load up from that and five with the hottest load, all from the Nosler manual.

All twenty rounds loaded and extracted with no problems. Extraction of the brass was no problem at all, not even slightly stiff.

Considering a bulk order of this to shoot at gongs then reload . Any reason why not .
I hear there was some issues at bisley with the 155g
Primers issues .
Did the 147g have the same issues?

Comments on the 155g
This looks fun
Screenshot_20210930-103653.png

4(T)

LE
Considering a bulk order of this to shoot at gongs then reload . Any reason why not .
I hear there was some issues at bisley with the 155g
Primers issues .
Did the 147g have the same issues?

Comments on the 155g
This looks fun View attachment 607361

I've not heard anything bad about the 145gn military ball. If anything people usually rate it as better than the Bisley issue target ammo - all years, not just 2018/19!

Its particularly good in all the transitional target rifles with the Enfield barrel - T4, L39, Envoy, Excel, et al.

Not sure what the story was with GGG and the Bisley18/19 batches. perhaps the salesman had never heard of Bisley and thought the order was for some sort of cheap commercial plinking ammo. I'm not aux fait with Bisley matters, but am surprised that for such a large order they didn't have some sort of test firing & acceptance procedure.

I've not heard anything bad about the 145gn military ball. If anything people usually rate it as better than the Bisley issue target ammo - all years, not just 2018/19!

Its particularly good in all the transitional target rifles with the Enfield barrel - T4, L39, Envoy, Excel, et al.

Not sure what the story was with GGG and the Bisley18/19 batches. perhaps the salesman had never heard of Bisley and thought the order was for some sort of cheap commercial plinking ammo. I'm not aux fait with Bisley matters, but am surprised that for such a large order they didn't have some sort of test firing & acceptance procedure.
They discovered in the end that it was the occasional massively overcharged primer causing primer pistoning to a crazy degree, forcing the mouth of the case into the throat and on occasions ripping extractors off as the rim got blasted forward by the pistoning. Took a lot of pulling bullets and experimentation to discover the actual cause, and it's only the 155gn 2019 batch that's affected.

Why it didn't get caught in testing is a bit of a mystery though...

It's for a tikka T3 with 1:11 twist . Think I'll get some . Thanks.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
They discovered in the end that it was the occasional massively overcharged primer causing primer pistoning to a crazy degree, forcing the mouth of the case into the throat and on occasions ripping extractors off as the rim got blasted forward by the pistoning. Took a lot of pulling bullets and experimentation to discover the actual cause, and it's only the 155gn 2019 batch that's affected.

Why it didn't get caught in testing is a bit of a mystery though...
Certainly I have had no issues with the 147gn ammo.

150gn Sierra MK or MK Tipped in front of 40.4gns of Vihtavuori N140. The cases are RWS, which appear to be indestructible. Mean muzzle velocities are 2517 and 2521fps respectively with a 2σ spread (95% confidence) of 8fps either way.

Picked up a load of German MILSURP 7.62 x 51, really, really, like it. Sensible price too , IMHO well worth looking out for.

I've been using SM .308 (German army surplus 7.62) in my old Enfield and I can say it's been consistent regardless of batch and feeds/extracts well.

How accurate it actually is I can't say as my rifle is not the best and neither is the pink squishy bit behind it! But it's cheap enough to throw a few boxes down range to find out. Some lads I know swear by it and others hate the stuff, depends what the rifle likes I suppose.
Shot very well for me punched nice holes in steel that soft points only dent . Trouble is that it's berdain primed so I can't re load it .

150gn Sierra MK or MK Tipped in front of 40.4gns of Vihtavuori N140. The cases are RWS, which appear to be indestructible. Mean muzzle velocities are 2517 and 2521fps respectively with a 2σ spread (95% confidence) of 8fps either way.
We load 44g n140 on 155g pro hunters and it's very accurate. not chronoed it yet . Sounds zippy! And is deveastating muntjac possibly a little to much .

Latest Threads