7.62mm x 51 BullPup Anyone?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Boris3098, Oct 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Kel Tec RFB Carbine:
    Anyone recognise the magazine?

Manufacturers Blurb:
    The RFB is a short-stroke gas piston operated semi-automatic rifle in 7.62 mm NATO caliber. It accepts standard metric FAL type magazines which work "drop free" and do not need to be tilted in. One 20 round magazine is included*. Barrels on current models are 18" long, with a chrome lined bore and chamber. The muzzle is threaded 5/8x24 TPI and comes equipped with our A2-style Flash Hider*. Longer barrel lengths of 24", 26" and 32" will be available in the future.

All controls are fully ambidextrous; the reciprocating operating handle can be switched to either side. The trigger mechanism is second to no other Bullpup ever built and better than nearly all commercial semi-auto rifles. The safety disconnects the trigger and blocks the hammer action.

A Mil-Spec Picatinny rail is attached rigidly to the barrel. No open sights are provided, allowing the user to select from the very best new optics and sight systems available. The RFB comes with a two point sling that can be easily configured to suit the user's preference. Available accessories include a free floating, four sided Picatinny forend, bipod mounts, a removable bayonet lug for use with NATO style bayonets including our own Folding Bayonet

Bullpup AND 7.62! :D
  2. I bet you'll feel the recoil from that!
  3. Who cares, its lovely :D

Forward ejecting too, even works for all you southpaw types out there
  4. looks as though it's been thought out properly in terms of controls, at least a first glance. More than can be said for the SA80 which I have just spent a week becoming re-acquainted with. It might be reliable now but what a bag of nails... :(
  5. A 7.62mm with a 32" barrel now that sounds realy interesting
  6. Hard recoil from a 7.62 x51?? Looks like the 5.56 is softening folk up. :)
    Looking at the configuration it looks well layed out.
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

mmm mmmm mmmmm!!! Gimme one!!!

That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
  8. Probably because of a private company developing it.
    Weird ejection though - check out the vid in the link.
  9. Looks the part, should be worth testing against the SA80.
  10. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Seriously now, what would be the use case for having a semi-auto, short barreled 7.62, compared to the A2? PDW for vehicle crews? Sniper rifle? LMG?

Yes, it looks nice, but you're talking about a weapon system that would demand single aimed shots, with a recoil that would make multiple shots both inaccurate and a waste of ammunition unless it was prone from a bipod.
  11. Big round that kills..?
  12. With a 32" barrel your not going to shoot it off hand thats 4" longer than the Parker Hale 1200 I have
  13. I've just had a look at the RFB on You Tube and the cartridge eject is soooooooooooooooooooooooo cool!
  14. Designated marksman or sniper support. The US have M14s back in the orbat and some of our units are using the HK417. Totally agree on the point about the short barrel mind.
    But then as a Bull pup the barrel can be longer without too much over projection. The L85 has a longer barrel than the M16 despite being shorter overall.
    Good weight too!
  15. edited at posters request

No question that the SA80's improved massively, but the opposition don't worry so much about the damage that a wounded T does to their numbers.
    They need to be put down. I know 5.56 will do it if you hit them appropriately, but 7.62 does it nearly every time with greater reach.