7.62mm Minimi LMG for UK

winnfield

Old-Salt
This is how the Americans are using it (mk48):

Lighter machine gun headed to Afghanistan - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times
New Machine Gun for Joes in Afghanistan

... not the beginning of a move to replace the Army’s beloved M240B, also made by FN Manufacturing, Tamilio said. It’s a short-term fix until next year when the Army begins fielding the lighter version of the M240B—the M240L.

The MK 48 fielding is intended to quickly “get something in the hands of soldiers to fight with in the mountains of Afghanistan,” Tamilio said.

The MK 48, while highly reliable, wasn’t designed to offer the long-term durability found in the M240 series machine gun, said Jim Sharp, deputy director for crew-served weapons for FNH USA. The MK 48’s receiver will last about 50,000 rounds compared to the M240’s 100,000-round receiver lifespan.

Tamilio agrees. “It’s a much lighter gun, both in weight and materials,” he said, describing how the MK 48’s bolt will have to be replaced after about 15,000 rounds while the M240s will last for about 100,000 rounds. Despite its durable reputation, the M240 is too heavy to carry long distances, especially up and down steep mountain trails. In some cases, units have chosen to sacrifice firepower to save weight on multi-day foot patrols in Afghanistan’s Korengal Valley, by leaving their M240s at their combat outposts, Army officials maintain.

The MK 48 “breaks away from the traditional support-by-fire position of your heavy or medium machine gun,” said Pedro Gomes ... “I didn’t use my 240s dismounted; I kept them always mounted on the vehicle” for highly mobile support fire, he said.

The MK 48 “gives you the option of bringing that higher caliber, more powerful round inside the maneuver box,” Gomes said.
Seems to be issued to units primarily in mountainous areas.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
as its still backward compatible with the sf tripod then you should be able to swap a longer barrel for it when required

T

Tinman74

In those numbers - UOR - Simples.

You can't replace the GPMG with a MajorMinimi - It won't fit in to cover the roles of the GPMG.

Not hand a gander yet. Yourself? Any good?

Nowhere near mate cant help to think the 'new' slimfast GPMG would be better suited.

its a lighter weight 7.62 beltfed lmg try to use it to do medium machine roles and it will die on you.
gpmg general purpose
maximi one thing well

King-walt

War Hero
Well I would probably argue that the M60 piggy that went *oink oink oink* was for suppression fire at longer ranges and the M249 well as well all know 5.56 is more for less while the 7.62 is basically getting harder hitting less for more in terms of PAIN and really taking some one out, but the question is, do we really need this as a UOR

T

Tinman74

Well I would probably argue that the M60 piggy that went *oink oink oink* was for suppression fire at longer ranges and the M249 well as well all know 5.56 is more for less while the 7.62 is basically getting harder hitting less for more in terms of PAIN and really taking some one out, but the question is, do we really need this as a UOR
A lighter weapon system that can put heavier rounds down range than the current weapon systems, I would say yes... I would rather have 7.62mm blatting away than 5.56mm.

AIRBORNEJOCK

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A lighter weapon system that can put heavier rounds down range than the current weapon systems, I would say yes... I would rather have 7.62mm blatting away than 5.56mm.
Also the fact were trying to fight people in flipflops with a set of russian chest webbing on with your GPMG gunner weighing 62kg your not moving anywhere in a hurry anny pound of weight that can be saved is more than welcome. As everyone is saying itll never replace the GPMG but its a welcome addition.

T

Tinman74

Also the fact were trying to fight people in flipflops with a set of russian chest webbing on with your GPMG gunner weighing 62kg your not moving anywhere in a hurry anny pound of weight that can be saved is more than welcome. As everyone is saying itll never replace the GPMG but its a welcome addition.

Would rather be on point with that than 5.56mm, would make those **** me into **** you contacts......

I think the real question here is: is it being seen as a replacement for the gimpy, a replacement for the LMG or a combined replacement for both?
No no never no Jesus titty ******* christ no. This will never replace the general.

Str8Bloke

War Hero
Is this thread for real?

diggerdaddy

War Hero
anyway, when are they going to issue a flame thrower! how that's a man's weapon

CC_TA

LE
anyway, when are they going to issue a flame thrower! how that's a man's weapon
They're mentioned in the Policy and Procedures AESPs somewhere I think - I'll try and dig it out. (Shame I couldn't bring the one I 'found' in Kosovo back with me :)

I recall seeing a mention of this myself, this was before I altered my workshop to block off the view from the doorway with thomas bins and setting up a camp cot.

T

Tinman74

They're mentioned in the Policy and Procedures AESPs somewhere I think - I'll try and dig it out. (Shame I couldn't bring the one I 'found' in Kosovo back with me :)
Found you say? You are John "Hannibal" Smith and i claim my £5!

ugly

LE
No less recoil than a GPMG!

If there is no recoil as the video claims then why is the gun strangely recoiling in the video when longer bursts are fired. :)

Latest Threads