7.62mm Minimi LMG for UK

The black nasty brigade have a rather nifty sliding stock on their Minimi's.

Front row, second from right.

Made by Savit Corps in the States, Viking arms and Edgar Brothers distribute them in the UK.
I have tried for 2 years to get them for troops in theatre, but there is no cash in the kitty apparently.

As US M249 go into depot rebuild programs the magazine well is being cut off and blanked over. but the collapsible stock is fitted at unit level.

The 7.62 version was first procured in 2004 with an order of 2,500 for SOCOM and the Rangers. Now its being procured and issued for dismounted use in OEF as its obviously much easier to carry up and down mountains than a GPMG/MAG 58/M240. It isn't intended as a replacement for the 240 though.

KleenUpGuy

War Hero
The black nasty brigade have a rather nifty sliding stock on their Minimi's.

Front row, second from right.

What's badges are blacked because you (or whoever) missed a union jack, or does that not matter? (not sure on rules)

NSN's for the goodies on the M249/Minimi

M4 style collapsible stock NSN 1005-01-411-1264

New Bipod 1005-01-521-7962

KAC Rail system 1005-01-483-4893

What's badges are blacked because you (or whoever) missed a union jack, or does that not matter? (not sure on rules)
Who else would be using L85's? I dont think their Zimbabwean SF

I believe there are various individual ID number/letter combo's assigned to each man so they can be called out on the radio without using names.

ie

Mattb

LE
That would explain it then. SFSG?

M

Mark The Convict

Majormi is SF only.
Our Them (SF) have been using them (the 'Maximi') for a while, according to Trap 4.

Apparently the Minimi's cyclic rate increases dramatically when M16 mags are used. The system doesn't have to overcome the drag and inertia of a belt of link. Result - one or two bursts and the mag's empty!

Travelgall

LE
Kit Reviewer
Its shorter, but is the fact it is it lighter (11.79 v 8.2Kg) than the Pig that much of a difference? Short good for FIBUA but shorter barrel means less accuracy in longer range engagements. What's the increase in beaten zone and decrease in weight of fire if any? What about range? Is this weapon able to work in a fixed fire support role with the reduced rate of fire?

Mattb

LE
I think the real question here is: is it being seen as a replacement for the gimpy, a replacement for the LMG or a combined replacement for both?

Mattb

LE
What, none of the above or it's not an important question? :?

AIRBORNEJOCK

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think the real question here is: is it being seen as a replacement for the gimpy, a replacement for the LMG or a combined replacement for both?
I went to the post tour kit brief that dollsteeth was talking about earlier and they were discussing the mk.48 as a supplement for the LMG but looking at the longer barrells for them and looking to trial the titanium bodies for the GPMG which brings the weight down by 2kg when they started talking about it possibly not being as reliable as the bog standard GPMG they just got told that theres only one way to find out and thats to test it.
As dolsteeth said there was a lot of questions of calibre, range of engagements stand by 6.8mm???????

CC_TA

LE
In those numbers - UOR - Simples.

You can't replace the GPMG with a MajorMinimi - It won't fit in to cover the roles of the GPMG.

Not hand a gander yet. Yourself? Any good?

Mattb

LE
Ah - I didn't mean a replacement for any of those generally, I just meant in terms of its role amongst those who are using it.

AIRBORNEJOCK

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Definatley for in theatre but hopefully if its any good itll start to spread like LMG,UGL they started as small UORs. Not had eyes on seen it on future weapons once ................... so it must be good!.... rather!

I know yank sf favour 6.8mm, I'm no expert (clearly) on the subject but my understanding that it offers nearly as much punch and range as 7.62mm but in a more refined makeup though I stand to be corrected. I'd heard about the lightweight bodies though I would suspect cost may put the brakes on that.

Personally I'd like to see this variant flat-out replace the 5.56 variant, I'm not a huge fan of the weapon as I don't think it brings much to the party but a lightweight 7.62 support weapon able to be used in all the ways the current version is would be a hell of a thing. If it is UOR then as mentioned hopefully it will be picked up as standard but I suspect this has gone to the trials and development battalion to see what they think of it on OPs first

Latest Threads