7.62 x 39 mm M43 ballistics

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by stoatman, Aug 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't for the life of me find a reference for the muzzle velocity of the ORIGINAL M43 cartridge, as in the one with the 9 g/139gn steel core boat tail bullet. Cartridges of the world only quotes the later 8 g/123 grain bullet.

Essentially, I have bought a kakhouse full of the stuff (which I need to remanufacture into brass cases because of crazy hard extraction, or remanufacture with a dropped powder charge), but would like to know what the spec is without having to drag a chronograph and a cleaning rod (for knocking the cases out of the chamber) is.

Secondary to this is whether I can make these bullets do 2340 fps safely (it's one of the Australian newly made Enfield actions so should have no problems handling the pressure) out of an 18 inch barrel.

2. I beleive it is against the law to diss assemble ammunitions so be carefull.

Dave

3. Not here it isn't, and in any case I have never ever heard of a British target shooter or hunter being prosecuted for disassembling ammunition.

4. I must admit I've never heard of a 9g factory ball load for the 7.62x39. None of my reference books mention it. Can you provide a bit more info about this batch of ammunition?

5. Not illegal here either. Used to be some years ago.

6. I have just weighed one of the bullets, and it came out at 121.5 grains. I will thank the dealer that told me that the ammo was 139 grain (and advertises it as such on his website) for making me look stupid. Mystery solved, and this now explains why I had also never heard of the load.