7.62 NATO FN Minimi

Anyone seen the new FN Minimi in 7.62 NATO? It doesnt take Magazines sadly but i was thinking it could end up replacing the FN MAG

Deep Down, I think they should stick with the FN MAG.

There's also a move afoot to use a Titanium Alloy Receiver on the FN-MAG(M240). Receiver is welded, not riveted, some other changes as well. End result is for it to be between 4-7 lbs lighter in weight with no degradation in Performance. I'll try and find the link.

Mr Happy

LE
I fear we have a walt that likes guns in our midst (not you JW). Trambuan who started this thread.

I hear RO have a new 105 lightgun with new air cooling dampners, anyone seen it....

What? Like I'm going to get one....

Guns, I like guns, they are my precious... My favourite is the 9mm C8 conversion with silencer that has the cut down sight system of the blah blah blah as used by blah blah blah SNORE!

You dont often hear of non walts refering to the Gimpy as the FN mag!

Gimpy tried and tested, firm believer in if it works then there is no need to change it.

Mr Happy

LE
slippersapper said:
Mag to Grid,
Just time to buy some new ones or refirb the old ones as they are all a bit knackered!
Can't say I've ever seen a knackered GPMG. They've lost some anodising but they're still that gorgeous weapon...

Sir_Sidney_Ruff_Diamond said:
I use what I am given.
Does anything else really matter for none guns and ammo waltoons?
Quite right, assuming of course that you also know the capability of the EN's weapons! :)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Mag_to_grid said:
You dont often hear of non walts refering to the Gimpy as the FN mag!

Gimpy tried and tested, firm believer in if it works then there is no need to change it.
Only those who have been issued the MAG, or even both.

Mr Happy said:
Can't say I've ever seen a knackered GPMG. They've lost some anodising but they're still that gorgeous weapon...
Visit a machine gun platoon. They will fall apart with very heavy use, rivets fall out of the body, feed pawls will disintegrate, and if you're really unlucky you'll get a certain bit on the body cracking that means it's a gonner. A good crew and unit armour will keep the guns firing and ABRO or whoever it is these days will give them a complete refurb as required and send them back good as new.

Like all things military they look indestructible, but they rely on their operator.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun......"

Mr Happy

LE
GoodIdeaAtTheTime said:
Mr Happy said:
Visit a machine gun platoon. They will fall apart with very heavy use, rivets fall out of the body, feed pawls will disintegrate, and if you're really unlucky you'll get a certain bit on the body cracking that means it's a gonner. A good crew and unit armour will keep the guns firing and ABRO or whoever it is these days will give them a complete refurb as required and send them back good as new.

Like all things military they look indestructible, but they rely on their operator.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun......"
Thanks for the info GIATT, never seen it but I suppose you are right (not saying that OUR armourer is better than YOUR armourer :) Clearly nothing is for ever.. even the GPMG.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reference the 7.62 Minimi idea, the bumf from BAS' link states:

The new MINIMI has been specifically designed to fit the market requirements for a 7.62mm light machine gun which are to give the soldier "the power of 7.62 ammunition in the weight of a 5.56 machine gun"
Lightweight 7.62 MGs may be a great idea on paper but they're a different prospect in reality.

The H&K 21 could use both mags & link, was probably the most uncomfortable MG it's ever been my displeasure to use.
While carrying the Gimpy/MAG can be a pain until you're used to it, the extra weight is not superfluous.

Perhaps the gas system of the Minimi might make it less of a beast, but I'm doubtful it will be up to the Gimpy's std.
I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I The Intelligence Cell 10
Line_Grunt The Intelligence Cell 11
Gas Gas Gas The Intelligence Cell 0