7.62 Minimi LMG

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by instinct, Oct 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While looking around the FN Herstal website (yeah im sad :oops: ) i happened acrooss this web page.

Minimi in 7.62

Now i have read how much the ARRSE members who have been in Afghanistan love the GPMG and the fact it fires 7.62. (target will fall when hit being the mantra banded around these pages :p ) Would a minimi in 7.62 be of use to the guys out in the field?

2. Can't beat the 'GENERAL'...ever

3. Might save on training time.

However that would be admitting that the GPMG is not the single most supreme weapon of war ever and reducing the British Inafntry to ruin.

4. GPMG: Mans kit.

'Nuff said.

5. As it has a shorter barrel, it would not be as good at distance as a gimpy or as acurate.

Stilts

6. Can the 7.62 minimi be fitted out for the SF role?

7. Just mentions a pintle mount.

8. Can't see a problem. We managed to mount the normal MINIMI's onto the GPMG vehicle mounts without hiccup.

9. Why not stick with the GPMG? The reason why it's that long and heavy is because it needs to be to provide accurate fire out to 800m. A 7.62 Minimi would bounce everywhere and be useless at longer range.

A combination of the two is ideal. If it ain't broke...

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

It's that good,the Septics bought it!!! (Replaced the M60)

11. The 7.62 Minimi weighs 18 lb unloaded, the GPMG 24 lb in the same condition. Personally, I'd rather carry the extra 6 lbs, and have the extra range and SF capability.

But what do I know.

12. AN awful lot more than i do! :D

13. Good point Spike, the spams bought/commisioned the M240B because the 'General' is that good.

14. Surely it is ok as it is.

The MINImi for a bit of Section level smashing up capability at Section ranges with section ammo.

The best General the Army has for long range smashing up of the OpFor.

15. Has anyone actually shot the 7.62mm Minimi?

They claim “Additionally, the MINIMI™ 7.62 is equipped with a hydraulic buffer contained in the butt, which ensures stabilized fire rate and reduced recoil forces.”

If it actually works the weight saving would be worth having. However, there is no point in a 7.62mm weapon that is not controllable enough to make use of the range of the cartridge.