7.5 GB Free Online Storage using GMail Accoun

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by REMFQuestions, May 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 7.5 GB Free Online Storage using GMail Account

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case your measly 100MB DII space is not enough... :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using this guide you'll be able to use the 7.5 GB storage space provided with your GMail account:

1. You need a valid GMail account. If you don't have one, Signup now.

2. After you have created it, if you look at the bottom of the page, you will see a message saying you are currently using 0 MB (0%) of your 7455 MB.

To use this space, you will need a freeware program -

GMail Drive Shell Extension.

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual drive in the Windows Explorer, allowing you to use your Google Mail account as a storage medium.

It allows you to do basic file manipulation, such as copy and delete of files inside the Google Mail account. Because it is a Shell Extension, the interface you work in is Windows Explorer itself.

GMail Drive appears as a virtual drive under your My Computer folder in Windows Explorer.

3. Whenever you want to access it, right click the 'GMail Drive' icon and click 'Login As...'. Remember to check 'Use secure HTTP' option under the 'More' tab.
    Whatever you copy in it will be uploaded to your online GMail acount storage space. You can even password protect your files.

4. Voila!!

[​IMG]

And if you ever manage to delete the GMail drive from your computer, it will still be accessible from any browser in your gmail account as a .bin file, which you will be able to open using winrar.

2. REMF thats a great find - going to try it out tonight when i get home to dump backups of my photos in case my NAS falls over.

Is their a limit to the size of file you can upload i.e. are you limited to only dumping files that follow mail attachement rules?

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I was going to gob off and say yada yada old hat and then I read your post. didn't know i could to that with my gmail account. Ta very much.

4. Just found out it will not work with everyone as a few of friends are having dramas but when the virtual environment is updated it will work again just fine.

As for file uploads, yes there is a limit. I believe 25MB is the upper limit for attachments.

5. Does it work for OS X too?