6th Form Bursaries

Does anyone know if much about the Sixth Form bursaries? I've looked all over the web and I can't seem to find out much about them. I spoke to a careers adviser and got told that the deadline for applications for the Autumn competition is 15th June, but that's not ideal as it's two weeks away and I've got GCSE exams to do in the meantime, so does anyone know if that's the only selection they do each year or if there are others?

Also can I apply to any Regiment/Corps through the Bursary scheme? I'd like to work with aviation so I was thinking of going for AAC or REME (or both if able to). I know that REME officers require a degree so will I be able to go to university after sixth form?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Have you looked into Wellbeck?? If your looking at REME Officer and aiming for A grades Physics and Maths (possible get away with one B) then its a great 6th forms.

Cheers, I had heard of Welbeck and I do meet the grade requirements, but sadly I put my application in too late. I told my Dad that I wanted to apply to the Army, and he wasn't too keen. I didn't really want to go against what he said, him being my Dad, but by the time I thought "Fcuk it" and spoke to the careers office it was too close to the deadline for them to sort out my application. Long story short, the Careers advisor told me I could apply for a bursary and that the deadline for the "Autumn Competition" is June 15th. I thought that her choice of words implied that there might be more than one selection board (as there are two for Welbeck as well).

I really don't want to miss the deadline as I did last time, but I'm also aware that the deadline is two weeks away, so I need to find out if there's another selection board I can apply to. I was also thinking that maybe I could put an application for a sixth form bursary from AAC, and a Welbeck scholarship from REME at the same time so that I'm more likely to get one of them, but I also don't want to look as if I'm desperate.

You do not have a qualification to your name but presume your youthful looks and boysish charm will get you an "A" level in maths and physics, dream on princess.

I'm not sure if by A level in Maths and Physics you mean A grade at GCSE or A level. I require an A grade at GCSE. I've already finished my Maths and got an A*, I get my results for Physics in August but I'm predicted an A.

Btw, my A* wasn't down to youthful looks or boyish charm (apparently the exam boards don't hold that in high regard, what's that about?) but hard work.

My son has a sixth form scholarship (£1,500 pa). As I understand it this leads on relatively simply (just paperwork, no interview) to a university bursary (£1,000 pa), there are no restrictions that I'm aware of on the subject studied at university nor has he been required to find a sponsoring Regiment or Corps.

We found the Army careers people close to useless and he got on the AOSB etc despite rather than because of them.

He did his AOSB in April, I think that there are two sessions a year for the Scholarship and Welbeck which seem to run in parallel.

I'd hope that you've read this:

http://www.army.mod.uk/armyineducation/bursary/6th-form-scholarship.aspx

6th form scholarship competitions are run twice a year and are dictated by date of birth.
Details are available via Army website/application online.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Really, where? Apart from the frankly rather scant page that I referenced above.

As for getting more information, if you can find from that website the Officer careers adviser that covers Surrey, Sussex or Kent your search powers are somewhat better than mine

Does anyone know if much about the Sixth Form bursaries? I've looked all over the web and I can't seem to find out much about them. I spoke to a careers adviser and got told that the deadline for applications for the Autumn competition is 15th June, but that's not ideal as it's two weeks away and I've got GCSE exams to do in the meantime, so does anyone know if that's the only selection they do each year or if there are others?

Also can I apply to any Regiment/Corps through the Bursary scheme? I'd like to work with aviation so I was thinking of going for AAC or REME (or both if able to). I know that REME officers require a degree so will I be able to go to university after sixth form?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
We only accept applications with a guarantee from your Headteacher (current or proposed) that you will have a school or college place to study A Levels if we award you a Scholarship. You will be required to complete a detailed medical questionnaire that needs to be verified by your doctor. You will also be given a full medical if selected for the Army Officer Selection Board. Applications must reach the Recruiting Group (Officer Entry) by 1 December for the Spring Competition or 1 June for the Autumn Competition.

Methinks that thou may already have missed the boat so to speak. I would add that an ability to complete an application in good time to meet the stipulated deadline may just be a reasonable expectation from someone who aspires to gain a commission in the British Army. (Have you considered the RAF? I understand that they are a little less fussy about timekeeping, standards of dress and indeed leadership qualities).

Applications must reach the Recruiting Group (Officer Entry) by 1 December for the Spring Competition or 1 June for the Autumn Competition.
I got told in an E-mail from an Army Careers adviser specifically "The closing date for applications is 15th June 2012". But in all honesty I've got exams and plenty to be doing in the next two weeks so I'm not too bothered about missing it, as long as there's another I can apply for. Cheers.

Officer Careers Advisor for Kent is based at AFCO Chatham Ms Faye Livesey SCA for Sussex AFCO Brighton Major Steve Ansell and for Surrey AFCO Aldershot Colonel Gareth Mann

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Go on then, how did you find that information?

Searching for officer careers advisors in the South and South East on the links on that page (Officer & Soldier Careers Advisers - British Army Website) only gives a Maj Grieve in Biscester who covers Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Hampshire and Isle of Wight.

Some of those names certainly come up if you search for a Soldier career adviser but not for Officers.

L

lumpy2

Cheers, I had heard of Welbeck and I do meet the grade requirements, but sadly I put my application in too late. I told my Dad that I wanted to apply to the Army, and he wasn't too keen. I didn't really want to go against what he said, him being my Dad, but by the time I thought "Fcuk it" and spoke to the careers office it was too close to the deadline for them to sort out my application. Long story short, the Careers advisor told me I could apply for a bursary and that the deadline for the "Autumn Competition" is June 15th. I thought that her choice of words implied that there might be more than one selection board (as there are two for Welbeck as well).

I really don't want to miss the deadline as I did last time, but I'm also aware that the deadline is two weeks away, so I need to find out if there's another selection board I can apply to. I was also thinking that maybe I could put an application for a sixth form bursary from AAC, and a Welbeck scholarship from REME at the same time so that I'm more likely to get one of them, but I also don't want to look as if I'm desperate.
Sorry I can't answer your questions, but just wanted to say that you seem very focussed, sensible and articulate!

I wish you well in whatever you do.

Major Grieve (Retd) is the ACA covering Aldershot from Bicester or at least he still was in March this year. I can't speak for the other locations.

To the OP. If you don't mind doing you're Lower 6th year again, you can apply for Welbeck for the 2014 entry. Spring Board takes place around the end of February but you will need to convince the ACA you are fully prepped to be put forward for that otherwise you'll be punted toward the second board which runs in June. Before the board takes place, a sift will take place which takes into account the ACA's report, the one obtained from your headmaster, and your projected or actual GCSE grades. A potential officer insight course will help you understand what to expect at Westbury but be warned they fill up quickly. I would suggest that if you want to try for the Welbeck spring board you should kick the process off no later than the end of August.

Your parents will have to contribute to the cost of attending Welbeck, the amount of contribution is means tested. However, on attending university you will be paid £4000 sponsorship a year plus an additonal £1500 a year for particpating in the military activities of the Defence Technical Undergradute Scheme provided you continue to satisfy the conditions (fitness, attendance record of squadron nights, academic progress etc). So if you're lucky enough to only have to pay £1500 a term for example at Welbeck, the net benefit over a three year degree course could be £7500. I highly recommend an open day visit if you end up thinking about this path.

At the end of the lower 6th, students go away for around 4/5 days on what's known as 4 Corps week. They visit the RE, REME, RSigs and RLC for what I'd describe a mutual bum sniffing excercise where the students express a choice for a Corps and in turn the Corps will see who they want to sponsor. These are the only ones who will sponsor you via this route. If you manage to get through to Sandhurst then hopefully you're ahead of the game when it comes to the Regimental Selection process. It's not an easy path, about 40% of folks entering the DTUS scheme finally end up being commissioned.

At the risk of stirring it up, you can do what you like when you are 18. And if you are absolutely hell bent on trying for a commission, then perhaps it's not a bad idea to give this a go. You'll get financial assistance at University and (provided you don't mess up) a paid job for 4 years at the end of it. There are personal development programs too for you to achieve civvy street recognised Chartered Engineer Status that would normally mean an extra year for a MSc that you would normally have to fund.

The downside. If you are not totally committed to cause, the MOD have clawback clauses for money they spend on you that are clearly set out when your parents sign the consent/contract. It's not something to be considered lightly.

Thanks Cactusman, that was really helpful and it cleared a lot up. It just leaves me with a couple more questions (sorry);
Can I apply for both a bursary and a welbeck scholarship?
Is it frowned upon/will it reflect badly on my application?

As a side note, thank you Lumpy2, that was a lovely post and it made my day.

Thanks Cactusman, that was really helpful and it cleared a lot up. It just leaves me with a couple more questions (sorry);
Can I apply for both a bursary and a welbeck scholarship?
Is it frowned upon/will it reflect badly on my application?

As a side note, thank you Lumpy2, that was a lovely post and it made my day.

Right chap, here's my take for what it's worth. Bear in mind that I am not an ACA, never have been, never will be and only know what I know because my lad has been through the process but recruiting in general has undergone significant change in the past year.

The first stage is to express an interest in a career as an Army Officer. This can be as simple as dropping in to a local careers centre assuming that it's still possible. Hopefully it will be possible to arrange an appointment with an Army Careers Advisor who at least they will tell how to go about the process as it stands today. At all times make sure you are presentable, if you can't be arsed to make the effort you'll not get far. Show some good manners and confidence and I'm sure they'll be delighted to help. Before you see the ACA, research and prepare to know a little bit about defence matters and the structure of the Army along with current affairs. If you come across as someone who lives inside an Xbox bubble outside of school it won't go down well. Be straight with the ACA an ask if it is possible to apply for both paths or just one. He/She is there to advise you on how the process works as they should be the subject matter expert. Before you commence the Welbeck process, it is likely that one or both of your parents will be invited to see the ACA with you so that they understand the financial commitment that they will make.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.