Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

65 k run?

mark1234 said:
indigo said:
Longest run I did was 50 miles in one day from Osmotherly to Ravenscar over the North Yorks Moors. It was raising money for the kids Leukemia Ward at Newcastle Victoria Hospital.

I don't think I could ever do that, how did you train for it?

couple of 20 mile runs a week or just running 5-6 miles everyday?

I actually did very little training with the rest of the runners as I was already Regt cross country and Regt orienteerer. Training for me was 10 - 15 miles a day, 6 days a week, mixed with some fartlek track work and high impact cardio on the bikes etc in the gym.

The run itself was split into legs as there are a lot of roads that crossed the moors. We had a support team that would meet us at a crossing along the way, hot brew, food, dry socks and shoes then off again. That broke it down into 5 - 8 miles between stops with about 10 - 15 mins at each stop to resup and regroup. We started at half 7 in the morning and finished at half 4 in the afternoon!!

I think in total we raised 6 grand for the Leukemia Ward. As shattered and aching as we were when we went to see them in the hospital the day after the run, couldnt help but think they probably feel the same way every day........very humbling.

I am doing Trailwalker in July - 62 miles in under 30 hours.

As I am a fat civvy now I just want to finish - the Gurkhas do it in around 10-11 hours!

If you are into ultra distances, I recently read about the Comrades marathon in South Africa. God knows why its called a marathon though, its 55 miles.

I love to have the fitness and stamina to do some ultra distance again. I screwed up my back with a very minor tear in a disc, but its so painful at times its unbearable. I've known a few people called 'glass back' because of apparently recurring injuries with no visible reason why its bad and though that they were pulling the wool a bit. However, when a violent sneeze can cause my whole back to go into a mad spasm, I think I know what they were going through!