63 (SAS) Signals

Probably an age old long topic but would it be right to consider 63 Signals as "SAS"? Given that they still do selection and fall under the UKSF umbrella.

They are no more SAS than 9 Squadron RE are Parachute Regt.

They may support it and have similar skillsets but are a different Regt. Hence being called Royal Signals .

Tool

Funny you should ask that, I was talking to a member of the bladed community (V) this past weekend and he picked them up for that, since 18 Regt was formed they should be known as 63 (UKSF) Sqn now not (SAS)

Well at least thats what he says

Funny you should ask that, I was talking to a member of the bladed community (V) this past weekend and he picked them up for that, since 18 Regt was formed they should be known as 63 (UKSF) Sqn now not (SAS)

Well at least thats what he says
It's 18 (UKSF) as it's a Regiment which covers all SF (SAS, SBS & SRR ), squadrons can still have the (SAS) title.

Using his logic then 22 SAS should be called 22 UKSF as they are part of the UKSF Group.

S_M

err no, 22 SAS wouldn't be called 22 UKSF because that's its regiment, of which all 3 regiments are contained within the title UKSF as well as SBS, SRR and even SFSG, you wouldn't call 2 Para 2 Air Assault because they were in 16 AA Bde would you

18 (UKSF) Regt R Sigs does indeed provide comms support for all units within the UKSF umbrella, his point was that dedicated SAS support Sqns were a thing of the past as in theory members of 264 and 63 Sqn could support SBS/SRR/SFSG as and when they need them. What hasn't changed is the role of SFC's which are in both Sqns as well as embedded within 21,22 and 23

Whether this is right or bullshit, i don't know, I am just regurgitating what i was told by a current bladed member of the fraternity, and I ain't going to argue the toss with him.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
18 (UKSF) Regt R Sigs does indeed provide comms support for all units within the UKSF umbrella, his point was that dedicated SAS support Sqns were a thing of the past as in theory members of 264 and 63 Sqn could support SBS/SRR/SFSG as and when they need them. What hasn't changed is the role of SFC's which are in both Sqns as well as embedded within 21,22 and 23
Aren't 267 Sig Sqn and 268 Sig Sqn still dedicated to SRR and SFSG respectively?

S_M

err no, 22 SAS wouldn't be called 22 UKSF because that's its regiment, of which all 3 regiments are contained within the title UKSF as well as SBS, SRR and even SFSG, you wouldn't call 2 Para 2 Air Assault because they were in 16 AA Bde would you

Whether this is right or bullshit, i don't know, I am just regurgitating what i was told by a current bladed member of the fraternity, and I ain't going to argue the toss with him.
That 22UKSF was a joke which you missed.
63 (SAS) Sig Sqn (V) in it's orbat is under 18 (UKSF) Sig Regt. 264 (SAS) Sig Sqn, keeps it's (SAS) as it's role is to support 22 SAS. Like the initial role of 63 is to support 21 and 23.

Like RP578 other sqn's support other units SRR etc. (SRR)

Yes there is crossover as everyone works with the UKSF group. But Squadrons have primary roles and are named as such.