63... Decent skills?

Mrcampbell

Swinger
Hi, first post.

About 5 years ago I went for a briefing with 21 at their barracks. I decided not to proceed at the time, mostly due to future travel plans to various countries.

Back then I heard about 63 signals from someone else during the assessment as Pirbright but didn't give the unit much more thought. Whilst I'm now interested in trying for 21 again, I also like the idea of gaining some good technical skills from a job in 63. Does anyone know/want to share if you need to have particular experience in CIS's (communication information systems) to join? I am going to get in touch with them and find all this out first hand assuming their responsive at the moment.

The other question is, is there a particular reason why when the topic of 63 come up on this forum they're referred to with contempt? :rolleyes:

Cheers.

RTU'd

War Hero
Perhaps because they are the SF reserve signals element of 21 & 23?
After all Bear was 21 until he forgot to pull his reserve.

I was on an ADR course with a 63 trooper some 10 plus years ago.
Never met such an opinionated army reserve soldier ever.
We were surprised as he was thick as pig poo & was definitely normal for norfolk.

Perhaps too many think they are mcnab or bear g when in fact glorified signallers.

Mrcampbell

Swinger
Perhaps because they are the SF reserve signals element of 21 & 23?
After all Bear was 21 until he forgot to pull his reserve.
So a lot of the contempt comes does to poor attitudes on serving reserve SF individuals? I can understand that. It’s not a great indicator though as to whether the work 63 do is lame. (Not that I would expect anyone who knows to point out what work they’re doing)

From the brief briefing with 21 sas years ago, it seemed clear they’re not the full blown regiment but trained to do a focused task. Can’t say I know anymore having not gone further. Seems like I won’t get a better whiff what 63 get up to unless I speak to them too

So a lot of the contempt comes does to poor attitudes on serving reserve SF individuals? I can understand that. It’s not a great indicator though as to whether the work 63 do is lame. (Not that I would expect anyone who knows to point out what work they’re doing)

From the brief briefing with 21 sas years ago, it seemed clear they’re not the full blown regiment but trained to do a focused task. Can’t say I know anymore having not gone further. Seems like I won’t get a better whiff what 63 get up to unless I speak to them too
Definitely best bet is to go directly to them and see what they say. Only thing I know about any Signalling in UKSF is the new SFC beret badge.

I know a bloke who was their SPSI about 15 years ago, he said when he took over they were a bunch of big timing Walters and did absolutely fxxk all for their money. He turned the training around and told them straight “you will all deploy or you’re out”. Bearing in mind this was the height of Afghanistan ops as well as Iraq and the start of other gigs. Loads left, those that stayed, were deployed at various stages. Sounds like they’ve reverted back again

The_Duke

LE
A reminder that this is in recruiting. General story telling and second hand dits go in the NAAFI. If you don’t have an answer that is accurate, up to date, relevant and helpful to a potential recruit it doesn’t belong in here.

Mrcampbell

Swinger
So I should have posted on the NAAFI to get the full scoop of factual and anecdotal feedback? To be fair everything so far has been pretty helpful.

Mrcampbell

Swinger
I know a bloke who was their SPSI about 15 years ago, he said when he took over they were a bunch of big timing Walters and did absolutely fxxk all for their money. He turned the training around and told them straight “you will all deploy or you’re out”. Bearing in mind this was the height of Afghanistan ops as well as Iraq and the start of other gigs. Loads left, those that stayed, were deployed at various stages. Sounds like they’ve reverted back again.
That’s a shame, if accurate.

Given how much CT their must be to carry out, and how much of that would be around cyber/digital comms & systems, its surprising and unfortunate that an SF squadron focused on CIS would become inactive. I’d have thought that there’s be plenty to do even close to home.

Then again that’s assuming 63 touch that line of work. I know 21 are long range recce but that’s about it.

That’s a shame, if accurate.

Given how much CT their must be to carry out, and how much of that would be around cyber/digital comms & systems, its surprising and unfortunate that an SF squadron focused on CIS would become inactive. I’d have thought that there’s be plenty to do even close to home.

Then again that’s assuming 63 touch that line of work. I know 21 are long range recce but that’s about it.
The only thing you can do is appy and make up your own mind. You will find out what their role is. There is a lot of jealousy about anything to do with SF, especially on this site it seems. Very, very few who have ever served with SF units or had anything to do with them, either on operations or elsewhere.

Tuffty

War Hero
63 now consists of T Troop who are based in the HQ Location, R Troop and S Troop who are based in Hereford. They provide Communications, IT and IT Security Support for 18 Sigs and fill a number of FTRS Posts. Most of the lads are good lads, as stated previously there were a number of Walts in the Unit but they have been weeded out over the years. 21 and 23 have their own Sigs Dets so why dont you look at joining one of those ?

Mrcampbell

Swinger
Cheers both, really helpful and interesting info. My questions aren't an alternative to getting in touch with 63 myself. I am 100% going to get down there and speak with them (assuming I get the invite).

Tuffty said:
63 now consists of T Troop who are based in the HQ Location, R Troop and S Troop who are based in Hereford. They provide Communications, IT and IT Security Support for 18 Sigs and fill a number of FTRS Posts. Most of the lads are good lads, as stated previously there were a number of Walts in the Unit but they have been weeded out over the years. 21 and 23 have their own Sigs Dets so why dont you look at joining one of those ?

I recall seeing a few details on the signals speciality path at 21, and it did look really interesting as it progressed. That's one of the reasons I was considering 63 now, for the focus on it.

Last edited:

Mrcampbell

Swinger
I have contacted 63, waiting out. Just wondering if anyone knows if they filter candidates with particular/complimentary technical civilian jobs, or all trainings provided?

I expect I’ll also need to redo Pirbright, with covid happening, is it still the same 2 day affair consisting of; 1.5mile run, physical test, team excerises, medical and some computer bases cognitive test?

I would have thought that the first thing to do it filter out all of the warriors that think they're joining the SAS, followed by any members of the press. The 2 sparkys, and mobile phone salesmen will probably be quite welcome to progress to the next stage.

I have contacted 63, waiting out. Just wondering if anyone knows if they filter candidates with particular/complimentary technical civilian jobs, or all trainings provided?

I expect I’ll also need to redo Pirbright, with covid happening, is it still the same 2 day affair consisting of; 1.5mile run, physical test, team excerises, medical and some computer bases cognitive test?
Right now I believe assessment is only one day and pared down a lot, with a multi state fitness (bleep) test instead of the new ish 2km run (1.5/2.4km pfa is now gone) but take a look in the recruiting sub section on here as loads of current applicants have given descriptions of what they've had in theirs recently.

Mrcampbell

Swinger
Right now I believe assessment is only one day and pared down a lot, with a multi state fitness (bleep) test instead of the new ish 2km run (1.5/2.4km pfa is now gone)

I don’t know what to make of that. The 1.5mile run within 8.3 mins (my aim) was the only really challenging party I was training towards... but at least it was measurable to track progress. How do you plan for a bleep test with unknown metrics.
Although I expect that if you can run 1.5mile in sub 8.3mins then you’d pass the bleep test at the higher level too, but still, I’d preferred to have the measurable distance

QRK2

LE
I don’t know what to make of that. The 1.5mile run within 8.3 mins (my aim) was the only really challenging party I was training towards... but at least it was measurable to track progress. How do you plan for a bleep test with unknown metrics.
Although I expect that if you can run 1.5mile in sub 8.3mins then you’d pass the bleep test at the higher level too, but still, I’d preferred to have the measurable distance

TBH if preparing for/participating in selection tests with unknown or ambiguous metrics is a real issue for you 63 (like any other part of UKSF Res) is probably not going to suit you.

Bleep test is much easier in my opinion and the levels aren't very high for anyone who is reasonably fit.

Mrcampbell

Swinger
Ye I assumed the bleep is an easier test, I heard everything relating to assessment has become less challenging.

TBH if preparing for/participating in selection tests with unknown or ambiguous metrics is a real issue for you 63 (like any other part of UKSF Res) is probably not going to suit you.

I didn’t/wouldn’t say it’s a ‘real issue’, although I did rant about it a bit. I just enjoy working towards the goal, and its clearly because the change is down to diluting the assessment challenge, not testing participants for the ambiguity of SF selection.

I understand the point I think you’re making, that any SF selection will greatly include ambiguous/unknown challenges, so such a trivial ambiguous test shouldn’t be a deterrent. Got you.

Last edited:

Latest Threads