60th Anniversary of the start of the Korean War

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by IndianaDel, Jun 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I do not see a thread to this anniversary, I thought I would start one to mark it.

I wish to tip my hat to all those that served there during and after the war. All those that served there, helped to bring added luster to the history of the British Army, the Royal Navy, Royal Marines and RAF too.

Let us not forget, though most of Britain seems to have, those that died in the "Police Action" too. Korea remains the most costly, in terms of human life, campaign that Britain has participated in, since the Second World War.

"They shall not grow old
    As we that are left grow old"
  2. Michael Caine served there. Long before he played an orficer in Zulu he spent time at the sharp end of one of the nastiest conflicts we ever got involved in. From what I read he still hates the smell of Chinese food, reminds him too much of what he went through out there in Korea.

Still can't make my mind up about the war there. I am not sure if it was worth all the bloodshed to end up with borders that were a kick in the arse away from the ones prewar.

3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

As an American Korean War Combat Veteran of that War, I appreciate you remembering ALL the United Nations Veterans that fought there.

BTW: I really dislike the term 'Police Action' to describe this WAR!

Casualties from the war were very high : USA - 142,000 killed

Other UN states - 17,000 killed

Between 3.5 and 4 million civilians were killed.

4. If it helps, try thinking about where the border would have been if it were not for the War rather than where it ended up.
  5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I can still remember the banner headline in 1950 -"SEOUL FALLS" and the maps in the newspapers showing the UN boxed into a tiny pocket in the south-east at Pusan. The RN maintained a carrier task force off the coast throughout the three years of war - not something we could do now.
  6. To mark the anniversary, Turner Classic Movies had a full day of films on the war. All but one was Ameri-centric in storyline.
    The last one shown, was about a British patrol, caught up in a firefight. the cable TV guide called it "Hell in Korea" the film's credits called it "Hill in Korea", made in 1956.
    I spotted Micheal Caine immediately in the film, he certainly made it in to the credits. Could this have been his first role?

On a side point, its music was identical to that used on 'Bridge on the River Kwi' for the jungle escape/ march scenes.

Trip Wire, sorry about the "Police Action" comment, I did put it in parenthesis for much the same reason as you outlined. My own father is not a great fan of the same term for the same reason.
  7. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Don't think it was his first role, he was a jobbing actor for a while. He did pretty much get the part on the back of his actually having served in Korea.

Trip, there are, as I'm sure you're aware, some good first hand accounts of the 27th Wolfhounds in Korea by the late David Hackworth in his autobiography 'About Face'.
  10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I have always been aware of the Korean War and there is no question of me forgetting it. But I've never really studied it. (Because nipper often gets me Waterstone vouchers for gifts, I ordered a new book that being heavily promoted on the Book forum, but Waterstone let me down badly.)

Last week on Military History they did a two-parter on the war. I haven't got round to part 2 yet but I was shocked to learn in part 1 just how many times Seoul changed hands in the first few months.
  11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

12. I saw that, very well done film, didnt expect Robert Shaw to get slotted so early. and the Music was very familiar