60s, 70s and 80s one-hit-wonders

12volts

War Hero
Ahemm. If this is a ONE hit wonder thread, shouldn't it be limited to the 'Top Twenty', pop pickers?

Chef

LE
telecaster said:
Chef said:
jinxy said:
Chef said:
I haven't looked at all the youtubes but I give you;
Pink Floyd, Another brick in the wall.
Also Chuckie's in love by Rickie Lee Jones
Pull up to the bumper Grace Jones
Betty Davis eyes, Kim Carnes.
What fecking planet are you from? how is Pink Floyd a one-hit-wonder?
Purely from the point that although their albums sell in their millions, I believe that that was their only number one, I think that When the Tigers broke free charted, but that was it.

They have never been a singles band. Can you imagine Echoes? And people thought Bohemian Rhapsody was long!
Arnold Layne? See Emily Play? :?
Fair point See Emily play no 20 Arnold Layne no 6

My other claims to fame,
My cousin worked for Floyd, and did lots of weaving for them, also back in the early eighties I helped Nick Mason prep his vintage Aston for a race at Brands Hatch my Godmother's husband also raced them. Which is why I was there.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Maybe in the UK, but in Germany I am quite prepared to believe that Comfortably Numb also charted, cos those two tracks (Comfortably Numb and ABITW2) wore out on the juke box in Uncle Tom's Cabin in Padders in 1980.

I assume it's Nick Mason's Inside Out (? his auto biography) that passes comment on the double standards of the BBC banning Armold Layne because it talks about a simple panty raider, while having no problem whatsoever with the lyrics of the various perverted verses of Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side.

AlienFTM said:
Maybe in the UK, but in Germany I am quite prepared to believe that Comfortably Numb also charted, cos those two tracks (Comfortably Numb and ABITW2) wore out on the juke box in Uncle Tom's Cabin in Padders in 1980.

I assume it's Nick Mason's Inside Out (? his auto biography) that passes comment on the double standards of the BBC banning Armold Layne because it talks about a simple panty raider, while having no problem whatsoever with the lyrics of the various perverted verses of Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side.
My Bold
I am assuming that the one hit wonder status applies to the British charts?
That being the case, Comfortably Numb was never released as a single in this country.

Pink Floyds chart entries were:

Arnold Layne...1967 (20)
See Emily Play....1967 (6)
Brick In The Wall...1979 (1)
When The Tigers Broke Free...1982 (39)
Not Now John...1983 (30)
On The Turning Away...1987 (55)
One Slip...1988 (50)
Take it Back...1994 (23)
High Hopes...1994 (26)

Obviously the above proves that Floyd weren't one hit wonders, but also shows that they were very definitely an Album band later on. There have been loads of single releases, but most of which didn't chart.

On the Beebs banning of Arnold Layne...It has to be said that when Transformer was released in 1972, times and standards had changed over those preceding five years. Arnold Layne was in and out of the charts before Sgt Peppers was released. Had it been released after the furore over Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, then perhaps it wouldn't have been banned from their airwaves?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not Now John. That's reminded me that it made it onto TOTP and I saw it in BAOR. Parents in law brought me a copy of The Final Cut out to Osnabruck when they came to visit and I was decidedly underwhelmed, apart from Not Now John and Two Suns in the Sunset.

I can see the set being the inside of a large circular tower with doors and a typical Pink Floyd dancing girl dressed like a Tom in every doorway dancing to the music (Not Now John) in that way rock dancers do, while purportedly selling her wares.

I doubt they'd have allowed that on TOTP a few years earlier.

AlienFTM said:
Parents in law brought me a copy of The Final Cut out to Osnabruck when they came to visit and I was decidedly underwhelmed, apart from Not Now John and Two Suns in the Sunset.
Hah! Thanks for reminding me of The Final Cut - all terribly anti-Thatcher and anti-Falkland, but did have a song with the great lines:

If it wasn't for the Nips being so good at building ships,
The yards would still be open on the Clyde.
But it can't be much fun for them,
Beneath the Rising Sun,
With all their kids committing suicide...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Fifth_Columnist said:
AlienFTM said:
Parents in law brought me a copy of The Final Cut out to Osnabruck when they came to visit and I was decidedly underwhelmed, apart from Not Now John and Two Suns in the Sunset.
Hah! Thanks for reminding me of The Final Cut - all terribly anti-Thatcher and anti-Falkland, but did have a song with the great lines:

If it wasn't for the Nips being so good at building ships,
The yards would still be open on the Clyde.
But it can't be much fun for them,
Beneath the Rising Sun,
With all their kids committing suicide...
One of my favourite sets of song lyrics:

Get your filthy hands off my desert

Brezhnev took Afghanistan.
Begin took Beirut.
Galtieri took the Union Jack.
And Maggie, over lunch one day,
Took a cruiser with all hands.
Apparently, to make him give it back

Three conflicts summed up in six lines. We could be picky and argue about the statement "with all hands" but wtf ... ?

Latest Threads