60s, 70s and 80s one-hit-wonders

Some boxhead stuff

Nena, 99 Red balloons

Propaganda, Duel

Was it really 25 years ago.
Nena was from the annexed part of Greater Germany, with their provincial capital of Vienna. Nice track as well, IMHO.

Well, yes. That was one hit. Another hit was Summer Nights.
As Years Go By was her first hit, although she butchered it. The song resulted from Andrew Loog Oldham locking Jagger and Richards in a room and telling them to write something they wasn’t about sex. It was their first ballad, it never intended to be recorded.

She had four top 10s I believe.

Anyone mentioned Sheb Wooley, Flying Purple People Eater?
There's lyrics for you.

sore knees

Clanker
May I if not done before, Oh Superman by Laurie Anderson.

Can't help but wonder how many Topped themselves after hearing this utter crap.

May I if not done before, Oh Superman by Laurie Anderson.

Can't help but wonder how many Topped themselves after hearing this utter crap.
I remember John Peel playing that for the very first time. I was so impressed I bought the album. I’ve still got it and it is still...shite!

Nena was from the annexed part of Greater Germany, with their provincial capital of Vienna. Nice track as well, IMHO.
Nena might disagree with that as according to her site, she was from Hagen (NRW), Germany.

How about some Freiheit and their Keeping the Dream Alive?

Clicky

Edited to add: I think you might be getting confused. It's Midge Ure that's from Vienna.

Last edited:

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
The only association with wonder and this "artiste" is that it was his only go at the charts, AFAIK.
I heard a program on the ABC in Australia about one hit wonders, and apparently Joe Dolci was a big hit down under. It may have only been once for him in the UK, and I still hate him for getting in the way of "Vienna"

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
Honestly WTF? I's as bad as walking aroun the supermarket hearing a song I think I know the lyrics to but not recognising the singer, only to find it was "Never been this far away from home", originally by the Kaiser Chiefs but for some reason sung by Lily Allen......

Latest Threads