600 police arrive in one north London sreet.

Just saw this on BBC news.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/28/nstreet128.xml

600 police arrive in one north London street
By Richard Edwards, Crime Correspondent
Last Updated: 3:02am GMT 28/03/2008

An army of police officers have marched on a crime-filled street in an unprecedented show of force.

Their target was Blackstock Road in Finsbury Park, north London - said to be a "one-stop shop" for crime where up to 40 per cent of stolen mobile phones in Britain were sold on.

Around 600 officers dressed in riot gear swooped on the shopping street, a short distance from Finsbury Park Mosque and Arsenal's Emirates stadium, raiding 19 cafes and other businesses including a halal butcher, a convenience store and a greengrocer.

Officers recovered more than 300 mobile phone handsets, 120 laptops, 110 cameras, 32 iPods and dozens of satellite navigation systems.

More than 70 people suspected of trading in drugs, stolen goods and fake passports were arrested in the day-long operation, which also included raids on residential addresses across the capital involving a further 500 officers.

Chief Superintendent Bob Carr, who was in charge of the raids, said they followed 12 months of planning.

He said the scale of the operation was "unprecedented" but necessary because of a small area in which a large number of crimes were taking place: "The whole purpose of visiting with this number of officers is to make sure the people you are trying to arrest do not feel they can fight their way out."

He added: "We have spent over 12 months planning this operation. It has been very intensive and I believe it will be a great success."

Mr Carr claimed police had evidence of at least 70 drug deals taking place in the area.

He added: "I think what has happened here in this area is, for some reason, criminals have felt this is the place to come to sell their wares and do their deals - that is, both drugs and stolen property. Because it is a very small area, there was a feeling they can do it with impunity and this raid today shows they cannot."
I'm just stunned at this. I live in a very different environment, but this does seem somewhat excessive.

Sweet! Police actually fighting crime eh? I thought their politcal masters would rather they were handing out speeding fines rather than fighting real crime these days?

Top marks from me. Round 'em up and keep at them. Either they give us

a hard time or we give them a hard time. Bovvy, you are lucky that you

don't live in the area but lots of law abiding folk do and they are the ones

to bear the brunt of these parasites. Good on the Police.

Just my opinion.

Just needs the Judges to lock them away now...................... hmmm

not before time just need too work on wood green and a few more of hot spots, both in the city and across the country.

I don't suppose this was an end of financial year inspired operation though or am i just a complete cynic now.

Shame they´ll be filling paperwork out for the next 12 months!

Just the job, a few more of these needed. Although, can we have a quicker lead in time than 12 months of planning!

FFS Op Overlord was planned in about the same time.

Good job. Perhaps the goverment should employ british companies to build more jails, employ british people to work in them, good for employment, good for the economy, gets rid of scroats and stops early releases.

bovvy said:
I'm just stunned at this. I live in a very different environment, but this does seem somewhat excessive.
Its not excessive, I work in N/NW London. That road is one of several that is just full of crime. Beleive it or not, the road is patrolled frequently by place, in fact it always looked as if they has a permanent prescence there.

Id love to take someone round with me, you'd see the depravity of the areas and ask yourself why we let immigration go so far. I was shocked to see it. I hadnt been to London since I was a kid. I laugh when they say the streets of London are safe. Really? So why do I have to wear a Ballistic/stab vest in some areas then...And Im NOT a Police Officer.

Another street similar to this would be Green Lanes. It will be intersting to see if that gets done too sometime.

The downside was, due to a stabbing/murder in Stamford closing the A10, and the closing of Blackstock road/Finsbury park trafficc was gridlocked. At least I have the day off today and dont need to go near the place.

Well done the coppers. Lets see more of this.

bovvy said:
Welcome to London, 2008. Seriously, I'm very pleased that this element of organised crime is finally being tackled as for a long time it appears to have been shied away from for fear of being seen as racist and "offending the community". I hope that this signals a new epoch of policing by the Met where they can shake off the “institutionally racist” tag and go after criminals of all creeds and colours without fear or favour.

All we need now is judges with the balls to bang up the guilty, gaols to house them in and a government willing to hoof out any foreign criminal who does not have a right to remain in the country once they have served their sentence. I’ve a horrible feeling, however, that much of the criminal activity will be deemed to be of low severity (i.e. non-violent) and because of the shortage of cells, those found guilty will be put on probation and released back to their life of crime for the police to chase once more. Ho-hum!

DozyBint said:
I’ve a horrible feeling, however, that much of the criminal activity will be deemed to be of low severity (i.e. non-violent) and because of the shortage of cells, those found guilty will be put on probation and released back to their life of crime for the police to chase once more. Ho-hum!
Which is were the 'end of financial year' cynic in me comes out...i haven't had to live in the 'crime free' :roll: streets of London for 3 years now but i see the same pattern of Finsbury park slowly becoming established down in parts of the west country...Bossdog hit some very pertinent points on the head also.

trouble is that reclaiming the streets has no identifiable target out side of a few glib statistical soundbites :x fecking gubiment snakes ....

edited for emperor mong formating ....

All it needs is a judge and gallows set up at the end of the street , quick trial and hang the scum , make it live on TV and it would be a great deterent to the rest

halo_jones said:
not before time just need too work on wood green and a few more of hot spots, both in the city and across the country.

I don't suppose this was an end of financial year inspired operation though or am i just a complete cynic now.
and what do you know about this particular locality.....?

I know it rather well.

I went past the Finsbury Park raid yesterday on the way home, and lo, it was seen to be good.

Bossdog said:
Another street similar to this would be Green Lanes. It will be intersting to see if that gets done too sometime.

The downside was, due to a stabbing/murder in Stamford closing the A10, and the closing of Blackstock road/Finsbury park trafficc was gridlocked. At least I have the day off today and dont need to go near the place.

Well done the coppers. Lets see more of this.
I lived on Green Lanes until about 6 months ago, and in Dalston until a few weeks ago. While murders were frequent- a 16yo kid was stabbed to death on my doorstep just before Christmas, while I was watching a DVD 2m away- I rarely felt threatened.

Most of the violence was black-on-black, or in Green Lanes Turk-on-Turk, and related to the drugs trade. I felt invisible, for the most part.

Though one time I was having a fag outside my front door as the hoodied local yoot were trying to stone cats to death with bricks, pretending not to notice, when one of them said "Shit man, that old guy's watching us" (I'm 26).