600 more troops to Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ViroBono, Jun 17, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

This from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3815733.stm

Hoon has announced that 600 Royal Marines are to be deployed to southern Iraq. He has described this as a 'routine adjustment' although it will increase the number of troops by about 275. So, just a little misleading then. Their role is to support the Iraqi security forces (i.e. to stop them running away/changing sides), when the handover of sovereignty occurs.

He also announced plans to mobilise around 750 reservists.

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Gulp 8O

3. Oh dear...... will I be in the firing line? 8O

4. 4th time lucky then I might get out and do the ruddy job i've been trained to do, and get away from the fight with the gremlins that keep putting work on my desk at the moment.

5. 600 Royal marines

750 Reservists. So is this Telic 6? When is the call-up?

6. Not ruddy soon enough.... I need to top up my Jamaica Tan

7. on top of 1BW with all their kit!! That is lots of extra bods. Guess they're expecting fun for the handover at the end of the month

8. Are there that many spare bods floating around? Or is somewhere else going to be stripped?

9. LINE GRUNT wrote

10. Last post went to Rat sh*t and can't be arrsed to change it..........so abuse as you see fit
    :wink:

11. I suspect there will be quite a few small deployments and roulements where larger formations are sent to replace smaller formations, as a deliberate mission creep so that there is no final large-scale deployment. Spin doctoring b*ll*cks!

12. The BW are deploying 540 bods - a lot more than just a company. The first 140 fly out this weekend and 400 more follow in the next couple of weeks.

13. Or is it. Putting two and two together, no ones denied the ARRC going to Iraq rumours, a certain thread on here has gone very quiet (main supplier of troops to ARRC) ...
    Looks like I better be sorting me stuff out......

14. 8O Expect TA bottoms to go 50p/sixpence about August/early September. Also check on the 1 Mech RTU date, it may been interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!