Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

60 years of unbroken peacekeeping service with the UN

Actually I’m fairness, the approx 600 doesn’t include non-blue hatted UN authorised missions.

With blue berets?

As at 31 May 18, UK contribution to blue hatted ops (military of >100,000 isn’t it?):
UNMISS 338
UNFICYP 278
UNSOM 43
UNSOS 41
MONUSCO 5
MINUSCA 2
UNSMIL 1

Ireland (military <10,000):
UNIFIL 374
UNDOF 137
UNTSO 12
MONUSCO 4
MINURSO 3

Ireland is clearly the undefeated champion of the military world, congratulations.

Actually I’m fairness, the approx 600 doesn’t include non-blue hatted UN authorised missions.

With blue berets?

As at 31 May 18, UK contribution to blue hatted ops (military of >100,000 isn’t it?):
UNMISS 338
UNFICYP 278
UNSOM 43
UNSOS 41
MONUSCO 5
MINUSCA 2
UNSMIL 1

Ireland (military <10,000):
UNIFIL 374
UNDOF 137
UNTSO 12
MONUSCO 4
MINURSO 3
Without access to a computer we have had troops in to my knowledge in Cyprus, Bosnia, Cambodia, siniai desert between Israel and Egypt, various African holes and Korea, Kosovo and Lebanon. Just because barring Cyprus we don't milk it is probably because our army has proper army type stuff to be doing and we pay for a lot of the people who have these other UN funded holidays

No.
Gaza is a administrative division of Palestine.

You are off keeping the peace but you are not too sure what piece you are keeping the peace at?
I despair.
There isn’t a UN PSO in Palestine (nor has there ever been) so how could be we.

Afaik UNTSO covers the West Bank and we have observers with UNTSO.

It's a shame that the boys and girls of Óglaigh na hÉireann are getting a slagging-off here on their commendable anniversary. Slagging off the UK contribution was not clever.

To the UK operational contributions already mentioned, I would add the substantial UK police contribution to operations in the Balkans and elsewhere. Many of them, incidentally, from PSNI.

It's a shame that the boys and girls of Óglaigh na hÉireann are getting a slagging-off here on their commendable anniversary. Slagging off the UK contribution was not clever.

To the UK operational contributions already mentioned, I would add the substantial UK police contribution to operations in the Balkans and elsewhere. Many of them, incidentally, from PSNI.
+1

And I’m responding to the bait more fool me

It’s a fairly long standing policy to seek one based on being a honest broker with no colonial baggage or global ambitions and our record with UN PSOs

An honest broker? Ireland conveniently forgets its assistance to Irish Republican Terrorism and the many deaths as a result.

The French were cooking and the food was halal?

Good point- I don’t know.

The Padre equivalent was very strict on the timing, I wonder what had gone on in the cookhouse?

Muslim padre: Bonjour, Effendi chef mon ami. So, is this stuff halal?

Frog slop jockey: Que?

MP: the food, my friend. Is it prepared as The Prophet requires?

Frog slop jockey: long silence and look of utter contempt Oui. Of course it is. Especially the pork. That’s double halal that is.

MP: lovely.