Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

60 years of unbroken peacekeeping service with the UN

“The Irish Government is strongly committed to contributing to international peace and security. Thousands of Irish men and women have served in the blue helmets over six decades, and that’s one of the reasons Ireland is making bid for a seat on the UN Security Council," the Taoiseach began.

Any particular reason he wants Ireland to have a seat on the UN security council?

“The Irish Government is strongly committed to contributing to international peace and security. Thousands of Irish men and women have served in the blue helmets over six decades, and that’s one of the reasons Ireland is making bid for a seat on the UN Security Council," the Taoiseach began.

Any particular reason he wants Ireland to have a seat on the UN security council?
It’s a fairly long standing policy to seek one based on being a honest broker with no colonial baggage or global ambitions and our record with UN PSOs

It’s a fairly long standing policy to seek one based on being a honest broker with no colonial baggage or global ambitions and our record with UN PSOs
God alone knows why you want the expense of even playing worlds least effective policeman unless of course those Irish regiments miss the days of empire and trooping. However cheap flights to spain would surely sort all of that out?

Slab Murphy’s?
If it was they wouldn't need to film it from an angle to make it look like a warship as opposed to a fisheries tub.
I didn't know the Oirish sent an MTB to Dunkirk to help with the evacuation, I bet that went down well!

God alone knows why you want the expense of even playing worlds least effective policeman unless of course those Irish regiments miss the days of empire and trooping. However cheap flights to spain would surely sort all of that out?
To make a difference to people less fortunate than us

To make a difference to people less fortunate than us
You could just bung their despots cash as foreign aid, that is if you weren't using UN money to fund your army I suppose. The Yanks were good at encouraging others to do shit jobs through the UN by making sure they were paid. Our Govt paid in and our troops got feck all for it!

You could just bung their despots cash as foreign aid, that is if you weren't using UN money to fund your army I suppose. The Yanks were good at encouraging others to do shit jobs through the UN by making sure they were paid. Our Govt paid in and our troops got feck all for it!

'Twas ever thus-the daily UN messing rate in Bosnia in 1995 was DM1.25 for Brits. The rate varied nationally, dependent on individual pay and messing rates. The Pakistani contingent had to be dragged kicking and screaming out of theatre as they'd never been so well fed: some of them had refused to rotate out/take R and R as this would have been tantamount to a wage cut. One senior sergeant I chatted to had been there, on and off, for over a year. Fat as a bacon pig, he was.

Plus they had been flogging weapons to the Bosniacs.

If the UN ever paid on time or the full amount they were supposed to.... isn’t the UK also among the members of UNSC?