60 Squadron's Mushroom Stickers

Squadron zaps? Apparently one of the US carriers had an aircraft from another carrier land there for a top up or a bit of tech assistance. It got back to the home carrier covered in stickers from the host squadron.

‘Zap stickers’ are commonly made by RAF and AAC squadrons from Dayglo sheet (aviation units use a lot of it) and stuck everywhere. Inaccessible/ inappropriate places score more highly, as do other Sqns aircraft.
652 Sqn AAC’s Fred Frog:
09E6FF2B-C74B-4D2D-8AD7-6890F82D5683.jpeg

Not as miffed as a returning husband finding one on the back of the headboard.

Back around 2004 or 5 the Kingos took up the Black Watch’s gig as Warrior battlegroup at Salisbury plain, as the BW went out to Iraq for a short notice tour.

The kingos also took up a gig banging the BW pads wives down there.

They told us they were leaving collar dogs behind.

But you know what scousers are like for tall stories. They were probably robbing their washing powder instead.

NSP

LE
Might one tentatively interject the traditional sarcastic remark about utilising the search function...?

Also, possibly a journo on a fishing trip:-

2022-02-22_12-05-37.jpg

You can see the headline, right? FORCES ARE ALL JUNKIES: SECRET SIGNS GUIDE TO STOCKPILES OF HALLUCINOGENS. Or, for the more imaginative tabloid sub-ed: RAF PILOTS FLY HIGH.

Last edited:
Not as miffed as a returning husband finding one on the back of the headboard.
When I was in 204 in Traz, the blokes used to have little white stickers with a 4 Bde black rat and 4 Armoured Brigade Hell for Leather on. They used to stick them on the back of headboards if they’d been Pad shagging

60 Sqn RCT used to be in Catterick Garrison during the early 90s, which may tie in with the A1 connection.

60 Sqn RCT used to be in Catterick Garrison during the early 90s, which may tie in with the A1 connection.
The RCT in the 70's prided themselves on being big drinkers and being able to avoid being nicked for drink driving.

If the RCT lads went over the border from Germany to Holland it was not for drugs. They visited the lonely lovely young ladies who sat behind windows in Amsterdam who wanted some love & company. (The odd DM or Guider may have changed hands as a act of charity).

Drugs in the RCT was not an issue, RLC well I am unable to comment.

The mushroom had nothing to do with the drug culture it was just a unit marker, as stated earlier kept in the dark and fed on sh!t.

1 Sqn RCT used a racing flag with a 1 on it.

7 (shiny) Sqn RCT had a 7 either in yellow or orange, etc etc.

Last edited:

They were there 76/77 too. 40 Sqn used to get a bit miffed at any orange mushrooms that appeared in their lines, and the guard, provided by 8 Sigs, were sometimes roasted for failing to catch the stickerers during stagging on hours.

StoryTime

Swinger
4th Troop B Squadron 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars had tee shirts made bearing a mushroom and this logo on our 76-7 UNFICYP tour. Mine might be quietly rotting away at the back of my chest of drawers if it didn't get lobbed decades ago.

Also marked Geordie Hussars.
If you can find it I would love to see a photo of the shirt!

StoryTime

Swinger
Might one tentatively interject the traditional sarcastic remark about utilising the search function...?

Also, possibly a journo on a fishing trip:-

View attachment 641515

You can see the headline, right? FORCES ARE ALL JUNKIES: SECRET SIGNS GUIDE TO STOCKPILES OF HALLUCINOGENS. Or, for the more imaginative tabloid sub-ed: RAF PILOTS FLY HIGH.
I am a journo, you're right! But I don't do salacious headlines, I do history. I love that the mushrooms were left by soldiers, not hippies. It makes it way more interesting. Also, I found that post you linked already and it's from 2007, so I thought I'd post a fresh one. Thank you for your sarcasm, but also no thank you for bringing down the mood with your attempt at being clever.