60 found dead in Baghdad

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goatman, Sep 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I searched ARRSE in vain for mention of these deaths....is it just me ? If we go into one when one of our brave brothers-or sisters in arms cops it HOW can we not feel outrage?

If the British Army was responsible for the security of Baghdad someone would have been sacked by now....this is an absolute bloody OUTRAGE and we should not ignore it....each of these men and women were equally PEOPLE, with families and friends who are now mourning them....

Story from BBC NEWS:

Don Cabra
  2. Man's inhumanity to man makes countless thousands mourn!
    - Robert Burns

Sadly countless millions mourn...

Rest In Peace all who die at the hands of others.
  3. Well said Goatman. The scale of death and the denial that a civil war is being fought right now, points to dead Iraqi's being regarded as nothing more than statistics in the wider world.

Every single dead Iraqi is fuelling the hate.
  4. It's insane what's happening. I don't know if the Brits could do any better than the Americans, because the situation is being smoke-screened by the US Army PAO

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Wings, I don't know that the Brits COULD do any better. Baghdad is a city of 8 Million people. We put 14,000 people on the streets in Northern Ireland ( Total Pop 1.7M Source: http://www.nisra.gov.uk/archive/demography/publications/pr_mye_2005.pdf ) and the war went on for thirty years.

IF Michael Yon can't get an embed with USFOR maybe he should try with one of the Coalition HQs.....people keep reminding me that there is a British contingent in Baghdad too.

Le Chevre
  6. Average death toll per MONTH is 1000.

Yes that does read one thousand deaths per month.

And does anyone really give a fcuk? Is this headline news?

No wonder they hate us and all we stand for.

7. Well said.....the last 2 lines of your post just about sum it up - maybe someone should tell bliar and dubya in the same words!
  8. Hmmmm

I wonder how many Iraqbodycount would have counted on saddams unhappy days?????
  9. Ive spent the last 2 1/2 years working in and around Baghdad. The situation security wise has always been bad and getting worse from late 03.

The average death toll quoted in the press is actually a lot worse. Bodies turn up in mass graves all the time. Left on sidewalks and dumped in rubbish tips etc. The hospital morgues are overflowing most of the time. You could double the average death tolls quoted and not go far wrong.

The sheer doggedness of the average Iraqi citizen never ceases to amaze me. Working with many locals on a daily basis, many have chosen to fly their loved ones to safety in Syria/Jordan. Theyre the lucky ones, the ones that cant afford the extortionate airline prices out of Baghdad international airport will plod on as usual. Having put up with a murdering dictator a despised occupation and now caught in the middle of a bloody insurgency with the sole aim of dragging the remains of the country into a civil war, i can see the point in many choosing to leave.

The emphasis on causing coalition casualties now takes second priority in the insurgency. Coalition troops are still dieing on a daily basis, however its becoming less common to score spectacular attacks against them. The changes in coalition tactics, better defended locations and rapid mobilisation of Iraqi security forces have helped. Gone are the days especially in Baghdad of large insurgent groups moving with impunity and launching attacks wherever they choose.

The drawback to this is now its a lot easier to further destabilise the security situation by dragging the country into a bitter civil war. Something the coalition would find very difficult if not impossible to contain. Civilian targets are always an easy option, why have 40+ insurgents to ambush a coalition convoy when 1 can place a device in a civilian market? This is Zarqawi's legacy, the man may be long gone but his plan survives.

NI has already been mentioned. A small country that took a massive chunk of boots on the ground to even remotely secure it. Back in the 70's even that was touch and go with loyalist/republican murder squads cruising Belfast trying to drag the country into a bitter civil war.
  10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Er...which as I seem to recall was EXACTLY why we toppled the loathsome turd.

Latest pronouncements in the courtroom farce make my stomach churn.....put him underground NOW and move on. While Saddam lives there will be no peace and no return to 'normality ' for Baghdad or Iraq.
  11. Some how I think the 'innormality' would continue even with Saddam gone. It's sectarian warfare, early Beirut 1970s style.
  12. I agree with Castlereagh, its not about Saddam anymore, if it ever was outside of the initial invasion.

Hate to say it, but the loathsome turd did a better job than is being done currently.