6 Step Estimate

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Brandt, Jun 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Can someone help me out please? Although now a stinking civvy, I am helping an old ACSC mate do a presentation on various forms of estimate to compare planning tools with civilian equivalents. I'm all over the 7 questions like a tramp on chips, have the combat estimate wrapped up like a kipper, but would like to compare the 6 step joint estimate that I was taught a few years ago in a Joint staff job. Trouble is, the memory isn't what it used to be. I have the headers (I think) but could do with some help remembering exactly where the detailed analysis headings go and how the thing ties together to form the plan.

PM would be great if you don't want to post open forum.

2. By 6 step joint estimate I assume you mean the Operational Estimate (as opposed to the 6 step tactical estimate):

Step 1 Review of the Situation (Geo-strategic Analysis). To ensure that the whole staff have a common understanding of the background and underlying causes of the problem, and have a firm grip of all parties political objectives.

Step 2 Identify and Analyse the Problem (Mission and Object). To gain a clear understanding of the problem that has been set.

Step 3 Formulation of Potential CoAs by the Commander. To focus staff effort on informed factor analysis in order to establish the art of the possible.

Step 4 Development and Validation of CoAs. To create detailed and workable CoAs that can be tested for likelihood of success.

Step 5 CoA Evaluation. To present sufficient detail to the Comd to allow him to select a winning concept.

Step 6 Commanders Decision and Development of the Plan.To turn the winning concept into a workable plan.

If you want to know more I suggest you look at JWP 5-00: http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/8114648F-9D93-4A10-8A21-2174B32072A8/0/jwp5_00.pdf

I am interested to know what you think the difference is between the 7 questions and the combat estimate as they are in fact one and the same.
  3. lots of 7Q/6 Step stuff here

6 Step much more easily introduceable into civvie environments without editing out all the enemy references at the risk of getting odd looks from the hippy in HR
  4. Really? I'm a bit out of touch but I didn't know that Mark C-S's 'watchkeeper checklist' had taken over from the old TAM estimate template.

Anyway, I now have a copy of JWP 5-00 so thanks for all the responses but I have everything I have ever wanted!