6 rar soldier awarded vc

Not withstanding the brave deeds of Cpl Daniel Keighran, VC, but, there is two (2) posts running on this topic. One in the Australia forum, and one in the Afghanistan forum.

Recommend Mods merge threads.

Not withstanding the brave deeds of Cpl Daniel Keighran, VC, but, there is two (2) posts running on this topic. One in the Australia forum, and one in the Afghanistan forum.

Recommend Mods merge threads.
Yes, but this one is news, and the other one is his good looks (and news).

The Aussies seem to chuck Our VC out with with some frequency. Must be because they're braver than Brits. About time the Republic developed their own medals ........ Or at least use their own metal. I think it's a ploy to deplete our bronze reserves ;-)

Still, well done to the lad in question.

According to the BBC it is only the 6th VC awarded to an Austrailian since the second world war.

Well done that man.

'Only' ........ is there a quota ?

Per man/combat hours compared to the Yanks and their MoH and us with OUR VC, still seems a lot to me.

And whilst it might be a VC for Australia, it is but a clone of the Brit one. Why not develop their own one ?

Not knocking any recipient of any medal but this might also smack of politiking.

Anyone know how many people have turned it down ? I heard a few years back that 2 Brits have declined in order to remain on ops and on active duty.

Anyway, enough of me stirring ...............

VC awarded to Australians :

Victoria Cross by conflict
Ninety-nine Australians have received the Victoria Cross, including newest recipient Corporal Daniel Keighran. Here is a breakdown of the number of VCs by conflict.

Conflict VCs
Boer War 6
World War I 64
North Russia 2
World War II 20
Vietnam 4
Afghanistan 3 *

*As of November 1 2012

Source: Australian War Memorial

My personal view is they are devaluing the medal! We issue three since 1982, they issue three in as many years.
Alternately the 3 Antipodean blokes actually deserved their VC's whilst the UK decision makers are being seen to be unreasonably parsimonious.

I submit the case of Sergeant Talaiasi Labalaba as an example.

My personal view is they are devaluing the medal! We issue three since 1982, they issue three in as many years.
Shit happens.. No matter where you are or what you are doing or how many of your Unit there are.. If you are in a theatre of war something can & will happen that will bring out the valour of some of those men involved. Who knows... next week we could end up with a VC citation every single day.

LT.

Blobmeister, VCs aren't issued, they are awarded for valour. If you can be bothered to read his citation,

Victoria Cross citation for Corporal Daniel Keighran | News.com.au

you will see that he placed himself in life threatening situations several times to allow the enemy to be engaged/suppressed and also allow an injured (unfortnately KIA) comrade to be casevaced. Don't belittle what he did just because, what sound like jealousy, of the Aus Army awarding more than the Brit Army. The management are obviously not nominating the boys for awards in Helmand but I'm sure they are doing just the same type of operations and engagements on a regular basis.

Bonza effort, mate! (see what I did there?) Genuinely a very brave effort by that bloke and fully deserving of a medal, who cares how many have been given before, if he deserves it, he deserves it. case closed.

PS. I prefer their uniforms. We go too far towards having **** all awards/badges on ours just like the yanks go too far the other way. If I was a soldier type, i'd probably be jealous of the cut of that jacket, too.

Latest Threads