6 rar soldier awarded vc

Discussion in 'Australia' started by retread2, Nov 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not withstanding the brave deeds of Cpl Daniel Keighran, VC, but, there is two (2) posts running on this topic. One in the Australia forum, and one in the Afghanistan forum.

Recommend Mods merge threads.
  2. Yes, but this one is news, and the other one is his good looks (and news).
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Good on you Daniel
  4. Well done!
  5. Probably got it to keep quiet about the identity of his son...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Aussies seem to chuck Our VC out with with some frequency. Must be because they're braver than Brits. About time the Republic developed their own medals ........ Or at least use their own metal. I think it's a ploy to deplete our bronze reserves ;-)

Still, well done to the lad in question.
  7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

They have. The Victoria Cross for Australia was gazetted in 1991: Victoria Cross for Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  8. According to the BBC it is only the 6th VC awarded to an Austrailian since the second world war.

Well done that man.
  9. It's the 7th, 4 for Vietnam and 3 for Afghanistan.
  10. 'Only' ........ is there a quota ?

Per man/combat hours compared to the Yanks and their MoH and us with OUR VC, still seems a lot to me.

And whilst it might be a VC for Australia, it is but a clone of the Brit one. Why not develop their own one ?

Not knocking any recipient of any medal but this might also smack of politiking.

Anyone know how many people have turned it down ? I heard a few years back that 2 Brits have declined in order to remain on ops and on active duty.

Anyway, enough of me stirring ...............
  11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Was his dad anywhere near Prince Harry's mum ?
  12. VC awarded to Australians :

Victoria Cross by conflict
    Ninety-nine Australians have received the Victoria Cross, including newest recipient Corporal Daniel Keighran. Here is a breakdown of the number of VCs by conflict.

Conflict VCs
    Boer War 6
    World War I 64
    North Russia 2
    World War II 20
    Vietnam 4
    Afghanistan 3 *

*As of November 1 2012

Source: Australian War Memorial
  13. My personal view is they are devaluing the medal! We issue three since 1982, they issue three in as many years.
  14. Alternately the 3 Antipodean blokes actually deserved their VC's whilst the UK decision makers are being seen to be unreasonably parsimonious.

I submit the case of Sergeant Talaiasi Labalaba as an example.
    • Like Like x 1