6 principles of logistics

Discussion in 'RLC' started by The_Bandit, Oct 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks I'm hoping someone out there has the answer to this one.

A question has been asked about what the 6 principles are. I understand they are in the front of the RLC operational handbook and that they are foresight, efficiency, simplicity, co-operation, agility and one other but can anyone tell me the last one?

Your help is appreciated.

Bandit

2. msr

msr LE

Surprise?

msr

3. robust(ness)

crept in there a while back...dunno if it's still there?

all a bit pointless really because who would conceive any plan that doesn't involve these principles as a minimum?

4. Those other 5 were from the may 07 edition is robustness from a later edition.

5. Fear & Surprise.

Sorry. Hijacker :oops:

6. On the Joint level, JP 4-00 lists only 5 principles, apparently up to date as of Oct 09. Perhaps the RLC is one step ahead of the game? No, wait...

"The United Kingdom recognises five key principles of Logistics, which are defined in Logistics for Joint Operations, Joint Publication 4-00:

•Foresight. Logistics foresight is the ability to predict and manage critical logistics constraints to the commander»s freedom of action.

Logistic planners, at all levels, should analyse the probable course of future operations and forecast the likely requirement for:
    ◦personnel
    ◦materiel
    ◦services and
    ◦equipment.
    Consideration should also be given to the provision and movement of the required resources into and out of the operational theatre.
    •Efficiency. Logistics efficiency involves achieving the maximum level of support for the least logistics effort and making the best use of finite resources.

Logistics efficiency, however, is not the same as commercial efficiency; the required logistics effect may involve duplication and redundancy in order to deliver operational effectiveness.
    •Co-operation. Joint and Multinational Operations require a cooperative approach to logistics from planning to execution.

It is a fundamental national logistics principle that services and commodities of common usage in the Services should be provided by one for the use of others. This principle should be extended, where possible, to multinational operations, to which NATO logistics principles are also relevant.

Maximum provision of common logistics support should be provided by DE&S IPTs. A prerequisite for co-operation is the assimilation and exchange of relevant information or data.
    •Simplicity. Logistics arrangements should be simple, both in concept and execution.

Simplicity comes from:
    ◦a robust command and control framework
    ◦common logistics processes amongst Service, Allies and other organisations
    ◦maintenance of control over the Lines of Communication and within the operational theatre
    ◦future equipment developments having coherent logistics support solutions.
    •Agility. Logistics agility provides the commander with the ability to respond to the unexpected and to adjust rapidly.

A balance should be struck between the use of rigid systems and structures which can meet the requirement of simplicity and the need for functional agility.

Logistics agility is promoted by:
    ◦logistics personnel being resourceful;
    ◦making optimum use of resources;
    ◦the logistics commander being able to change logistics structures and systems as operational circumstances change; and
    ◦the provision of appropriate equipment and resources."

7. Frustration
    Evasion
    Apathy
    Conspiracy
    Success

8. The aim of the infantry is to close with the enemy, and kill him.

Just that, no more.

9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

& Ruthless Efficiency.....

(Damn couldn't help it, in your own time now.)

10. Used to be simple - acronym of SCEFF used:

Simplicity
    Co-operation
    Efficiency
    Foresight
    Flexibility

No idea why 'flexibility' was considered to be inadequate, and replaced by 'agility'. Probably a new SO2 Acronyms in the chair.

Incidentally, I hear from my former colleagues that the latest silly expression being bandied around is 'game-changing'. Whatever happened to plain old English?

11. The aim of the RLC is to close with the pies, and eat them.

Just the pies, no more...don't want to spoil their appetite... :lol:

12. Well done MSR, made me gafaw loudly. Now to clean the keyboard.

CTC

13. agility is a doctrine based term that involves mobilty and manoeuvre

...i think...i may have been asleep that day, those new chairs at Shriv are very comfy!

14. Thanks for your replies guys.

15. I always thought the change in acronym was purely cosmetic. SCEFF sounds slightly perverted while the simple delete/insert of flexibility/agility allows the acronym to become the more friendly sounding 'FACES'.

It's only an 'E' away from something much more suitable! :wink: