6 nations winner?

So, who will win the 6 Nations then?

Can Dad's Army do their stuff again for England?
Will France pull it off again without Betsen, Pelous and Dominici?
How about Wales, with their new Jedi coaching set-up?
Maybe the Paddies can beat last year's near miss?
And er, the Jocks and Eyeties are playing too....

what do YOU think?

Kiss of death for any sporting team when I place a bet on them! But predictions for weekend 1 of the Six Nations:

England 20 Wales 14
Ireland 24 Italy 22
Scotland 15 France 12

France to win the Championship, Italy the wooden spoon

Well its got to be tonga - they are dead good at tiddlewinks, get your mortgage on it!!!

I live in hope that Wales might pull it off, so I'll join one flew over in blind hope!

England have France, Scotland and Italy away (tough). As always win your homes and a couple of good performances away and your in the mix.I don't think a grand slam is on the cards though.
England have a few youngsters that need blooding now in order to be ready for the next world cup. Lets hope Brian Ashton has the courage to try some new combinations. Far better to loose a couple of games now,than to be as unprepared for the next world cup as we were for the last.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
With the World Cup just finished and a lot of the squad players from that competition have retired (voluntarily or otherwise) and all teams are now in the process of building up a squad to take to the 2011 Worl Cup. This means that it will be difficult to pick out a winning team.

I would love to see Scotland do it this year but I have to give Ireland that bit of edge, perhaps as a comeback for their poor World Cup performance.

It will be very close IMO and my prediction is:

1st - Ireland
2nd= - England & France
4th -Scotland
5th -Wales
6th -Italy

I'd like to see Ireland do better than our poor performance in the world cup. They seem to benefit from being classed as underdogs so fingers crossed.
Will be satisfied with the Scots if they beat Wales and Italy and put up a good fight with the English.
I think it'll be between France and England for 1st place though.

My predictions are:

1 - England
2 - France
3 - Wales
4 - Ireland
5 - Italy
6 - Scotland

But I think it will be an open contest.

one-flew-over said:
France have the English and Irish in Paris. As these are realistically the major threats I think home advantage will tell.
Ermm..like it did for France in the RWC semi against...ermm... England.
Unless this is a very different French side, I think home advantage may work against them. The French crowd are notoriously impatient and this may well work in the Englishmen`s favour if they can keep the score low for the first twenty or so minutes.

Hopefully, England will have too much power up front again and I can forecast that England will prevail.

My predictions for this year are....

1) England
2) Wales
3) Scotland
4) Ireland
5) France
6) Italy

France have had a LOT of changes in key positions with players who don't seem to be up to the job, so not this year for them. The Welsh and Scots have a new lease of life, but I think the best game of the tournament will be Italy vs Ireland. Watch this space!

For all those with Sky Sports, Saxons vs Ireland A is at 1930 tonight. It'll be an interesting chance to see some of the players performances

15. Nick Abendanon (Bath Rugby)*

14. Tom Varndell (Leicester Tigers)*

13. Ollie Smith (Leicester Tigers, vice captain)*

12. Shane Geraghty (London Irish)*

11. Delon Armitage (London Irish)

10. Ryan Lamb (Gloucester Rugby)

9. Lee Dickson (Newcastle Falcons)

1. Nick Wood (Gloucester Rugby)

2. David Paice (London Irish)

3. Jason Hobson (Bristol Rugby)

4. Tom Palmer (London Wasps)*

5. Nick Kennedy (London Irish)

6. Phil Dowson (Newcastle Falcons)

7. Ben Woods (Newcastle Falcons)

8. Jordan Crane (Leicester Tigers, captain)

Replacements

16. Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)

17. David Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)

18. George Skivington (London Wasps)

19. Will Skinner (Harlequins)

20. James Grindal (Newcastle Falcons)

21. Anthony Allen (Gloucester Rugby)*

22. Mike Brown (Harlequins)*

To be able to have Allen on the bench, and Lewsey nowhere, for the second string team, is indicative of some serious depth in the backs. I hope Hartley gets some game time as well - if he can control his temper, he's a full England prospect sooner ratehr than later. Not as confident about the scrum as I'd like.

The Ireland A side has 150 caps in it!

Ireland A: G Duffy (Connacht), J Murphy (Leicester), L Fitzgerald (Leinster), S Horgan (Leinster), T Bowe (Ulster), A Dunne (Connacht), I Boss (Ulster), C Healy (Leinster), F Sheahan (Munster), B Young (Ulster), T Hogan (Leinster), R Caldwell (Ulster), S Keogh (Leinster), S Jennings (Leinster) A Quinlan (Munster).

Replacements: A Flavin (Connacht), D Fitzpatrick (Ulster), D Ryan (Munster), D Pollock (Ulster), C Keane (Leinster), N O'Connor (Ulster), D O'Riordan (Connacht).

I'm hoping for a convincing Saxons win - if they can secure possession and get the ball out to the backs. Saxons by 15 points or more.

smoky_bacon said:
My heart says that this is Scotlands year...my head says maybe next year, but I live in hope!
We were cr*p. The French threw the ball around and looked dangerous from anywhere. Sadly we continued to look slow and predictable behind the scrum and nerves got to the players with schoolboy errors meaning that you just knew we would not score a try.

If France keep this game up it will be hard for any country to live with them this 6 Nations.

Probably guff predictions for next week's results:

France 32 Ireland 10
Wales 28 Scotland 12
Italy 14 England 23