6 Nations - The Referees

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Auld-Yin, Mar 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

OK, after this afternoon there is only Super Saturday to finish off the 6Ns season,

During this time we have had some good reasoned debate, and some comments from the_guru :) (Sorry, couldn't help myself), about the teams and the games. However, during the debate there have been very many mentions of what appears to be the poor standard of refereeing and LMF from some.

Will it be George Clancy or perhaps Steve Walsh who are best/worst but let's hear your views.

So, new question(s):

Who has been the best (most consistent) ref
    Who has been the worst (least consistent) ref

And supplementary question: what Law(sub law etc) would you like to see replaced or actually applied by the refs.

Over to you................................

2. Adopt the RL method of using video evidence which allows them to analyse more than just 'the act of scoring'. If the winger's foot was in touch 10 yards out - no try, if the pass to the try scorer was forward - no try, if the scorer collected the ball off his feet 10 yards out and didn't knock on - try awarded.

3. Auld-Yin

I hear what you are saying SF and I remember well the incident you refer to, but there is a danger here of making the poor referees come to decisions (OK along with the TMO) about how far back the video goes to see if the try is OK

This could end up with the same problems of advantage being played. Yesterday the ref saw fit to play the advantage for ages yet in Scotland's first game the ref struck off the advantage very quickly, even though Scotland did not gain from the so called advantage. His call, no comeback, but no consistency throughout the competition.

Is this a case of opening up another area for diapute?

4. For me worst ref has been Barnes,technically a good referee,(as in applies laws to the letter) but, to me he has no real idea of what playing the game involves, and penalises players for stupid things beyond players control,but there are a few refs that I feel are like that anyway, most not on IRB A panel luckily.

Ok another ref is one I just don't like when he is in charge and that is Mr A.Rolland,again IMO inconsistent and worries too much about technical laws rather than players and game play, which is even worse in my view as he was an national player for Ireland.

5. In my opinion, and this has happened only a couple of times, (namely by Mr Walsh who did himself no credit), more use should be made of the Southern Hemi refs. Jonathon Kaplan is the best ref in the world, and just happens to be a South African too.

OK, so neutral refs have been used ofcourse, but as was seen in the World cup, refs can have an agenda into favouring one team that in the long runwill benefit their own country.

6. Auld-Yin

Another thing that gets my goat about refs (well some of them) is that they think their job is to teach the players the Laws of the game whereas it is their role to umpire the game in the spirit of those Laws.

Where this seems to manifest itself most is when a referee who spent all of his playing career as far from the scrum as possible spends a long time trying to educate front row forwards.

a. educating a front row member is an impossible task :)
    b. it is not the refs job. Call the play and explain your decision - end of.

Now I know that all front rows are totally comprised of angels who never do any wrong, well that is what they always claim, but they should be left to their job, penalised where necessary and the game moves on.

7. The IRB need to stop trying to over-regulate as in the case of the "crouch-touch-lose will to live- engage" and "you must gently lower the 18 stone lump to the ground".

Give the referees discretion to let game flow, only use citing for offences the officials do not see and stop making the game too complex for your average legally trained hooker!

• Like Like x 1
  8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Strangest thing for me is when there is a ruck, the side who haven't won the ball all disengage and so only one side have the ball at their feet. The defending side then line as if there is still a ruck.

9. As a very junior level referee and a coach, I believe that when this happens the ruck is over and someone can nip round and nick it. When I say his to more experienced referees they all say they would not allow it but cannot give me the law that forbids it!

10. Correct feed at scrum time. I say this as a hooker aswell, but I prefer having something to do at the scrum other than winding up thick props!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Time wasting in break down situations, not only rucks but feeding the scrum too.
    OK, so you're trying to run the clock down, but do please get the **** on with it.
    Dickson is the worst infringer I have seen in ages and needs to been pe'ed for it more.

12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Agreed. Needs a top player to do it & then have the IRB try to explain why it's not allowed.

13. The cynic in me says that as soon as someone does it to the Irish in a big game, the IRB will write a law to prevent it.

14. The referees have all been reasonably consistent just that some have been better than others on the day. I can understand the referee telling the front rows how he wants them engaged because, believe it or not, there are different interpretations of how the front rows should be both bound and come together. I knew referees who would penalise binding on the arm if the scrum collapsed but not if it didn't.

This is now a professional game and there is millions in sponsorship and merchandise to be made. If a referee awards a try that turns out not to be one then he could possibly effect World rankings. If he has any doubt whatsoever then he should refer it to the TMO. We like to pretend it's still a sport but it isn't, it's a business now.

If there was one thing I would change it would be to revert back to the old ruck and maul. It was far better when the whole pack was involved and platforms were set up and the ball secured. All this virtually unopposed stuff just makes it so much more difficult to know where exactly to come into the ruck or maul and is probably why so many players are caught off side.

There is an annoying trend to constantly speed the pace of the game up "for the spectators". Why? Most people who follow Rugby know the laws and are ex-players or enthusiasts. A full ruck and maul are part and parcel of the game and make an amusing spectacle in their own right. If you just want to see tries scored then watch Rugby League but if you want to see 15 players working together in harmony and fighting battles of attrition then watch the Great Game.

• Like Like x 3
  15. poetry.

• Like Like x 1