Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Nations 2014

I think this has been argued before. The clubs, who lets face it dictate to the unions these days, would never allow more international games during the regular season. So if you want to play the minor countries regularly it would have to be out of season. This would obviously not happen during a Lions year or a world cup year.

The only way Scotland and Italy will improve is if more money is put into the professional game in the respective countries. I think the idea of a new professional club in Aberdeen is a good one, but someone has to come up with the dosh (does anyone in the SRU know a mega rich Ukrainian looking to move his money westwards?)

As for Scotland or Italy being kicked out of the 6 Nations!! Get real, it is a fantastic international competition, which has been enhanced by the inclusion of Italy (think Parrisse and Castrogiovanni) France got the wooden spoon last year and I don't hear anyone wanting to bin them.

While I agree Scotland are currently not playing to the standard of the top 4, I feel that reducing the size of the competition is not the way forward. For instance, Scotland has reduced its professional teams to only two, which has had a huge negative impact on the Scottish national team.

More should be done to make this a more pan-European competition by including countries with a rugby background, Denmark, some of Balkan teams and some from the Baltic area. Make it a two league competition with promotion and relegation and make Scotland and Italy, plus any other team off the boil, work for their place.

I doubt it will happen, but it would concentrate minds a bit.

I certainly agree with the principal, but would we not find the same countries experiencing the 'yo-yo phenomenon'. I also expect that the top 4, particularly the RFU (and me as an Englishman) would be anti such a set up, based on issues such as injuries caused by 'cheap shots', potential injuries caused whilst playing a 2nd/3rd rate international side, etc., etc.
I also believe the IRB would not sanction this. I recall these same individuals who are supposedly for promoting the game internationally (obviously), stabbed Japan in the back when they awarded the world cup to New Zealand.

I think this has been argued before. The clubs, who lets face it dictate to the unions these days, would never allow more international games during the regular season. So if you want to play the minor countries regularly it would have to be out of season. This would obviously not happen during a Lions year or a world cup year.

The only way Scotland and Italy will improve is if more money is put into the professional game in the respective countries. I think the idea of a new professional club in Aberdeen is a good one, but someone has to come up with the dosh (does anyone in the SRU know a mega rich Ukrainian looking to move his money westwards?)

As for Scotland or Italy being kicked out of the 6 Nations!! Get real, it is a fantastic international competition, which has been enhanced by the inclusion of Italy (think Parrisse and Castrogiovanni) France got the wooden spoon last year and I don't hear anyone wanting to bin them.

Based on averages over the last 10 years; Italy have won 8 games, drawn 1 and lost 41, whilst Scotland; won 12, drawn 1 lost 37. England won 31, drawn 1, lost 18, Wales won 32, drawn 1, lost 17, France won 32, drawn 2, lost 16 & Ireland won 31, drawn 2, lost 17. In seven of the last10 campaigns Scotland & Italy have occupied the bottom 2 places.
I base no opinion on the aforementioned just offer the stats.

I certainly agree with the principal, but would we not find the same countries experiencing the 'yo-yo phenomenon'. I also expect that the top 4, particularly the RFU (and me as an Englishman) would be anti such a set up, based on issues such as injuries caused by 'cheap shots', potential injuries caused whilst playing a 2nd/3rd rate international side, etc., etc.
I also believe the IRB would not sanction this. I recall these same individuals who are supposedly for promoting the game internationally (obviously), stabbed Japan in the back when they awarded the world cup to New Zealand.

Sorry you are talking rubbish in one of your points. I agree that there probably would be a yo-yo effect but , do you see "cheap shots" when these teams play the "top" nations in the RWC? No, you do not. These guys from the "minor" nations want to play the "top" teams so they can learn and progress themselves as well as their teams.

Sorry you are talking rubbish in one of your points. I agree that there probably would be a yo-yo effect but , do you see "cheap shots" when these teams play the "top" nations in the RWC? No, you do not. These guys from the "minor" nations want to play the "top" teams so they can learn and progress themselves as well as their teams.

You may consider me talking rubbish...that is your right. However should you actually read the f****g script before getting in a tangle with yourself; I mention that such as the RFU may find such reasoning to not vote for such a competition...................................personally I don't give a flying ****. They can play a 32 nation competition for all I care including England having to play St Kitts the Galapagos Islands and ******* Vietnam (North & bastard South)!

B

bokkatankie

On that basis it looks as though they can never do well but they have and, one hopes, will do again. Only team Italy have not beaten is England. Scotland have beaten them all many times. If it ain't broke dont fix it.
Superrugby is playing to empty stadiums. Even the so called "championship" is not so well attended as every single 6 Nations match.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

You may consider me talking rubbish...that is your right. However should you actually read the f****g script before getting in a tangle with yourself; I mention that such as the RFU may find such reasoning to not vote for such a competition...................................personally I don't give a flying ****. They can play a 32 nation competition for all I care including England having to play St Kitts the Galapagos Islands and ******* Vietnam (North & bastard South)!

Calm down Mary

ottar

LE
I don't always get a morning newspaper other than at weekends, however the current Mrs Pewish had reason to pop out early this morning and brought me one back, in the sports section; "Let's make it the 4 Nations. Scotland and Italy are the weakest links.........and it's time to say goodbye."
That would be a retrograde step. Whilst neither Scotland or Italy are capable of winning the 6N, both are capable of causing upsets that can have a major influence on who does win, making for a far more interesting competition.

Promotion/relegation to and from the ENC, is the way forward. As that is a two year competition, whoever gets promoted will have time to learn the game, and there'll not be the same teams yo-yoing. The top three in the ENC are also capable of causing upsets, and not just to Scotland/Italy.

B

bokkatankie

6 Nations without Scotland is plain silly how do you win the Triple Crown? And when would the Calcutta Cup be played. We can mock them when they are down, if they supported us in the RWC they may get more sympathy, but to change the oldest tournament in history of rugby is not the way forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reiterate I merely read said article.

However as for the triple crown, you could still have same, just involve France and call it something else........le trophee European or such like, and stick the old shield in the museum with the Calcutta Cup as it is about knackered now in any case............................................just saying!

6 Nations without Scotland is plain silly

Akin to saying the RWC can't be a world cup if Kyrgyzstan aren't represented.....the fact they don't play the game, or if so are shite would therefore be no reason.

I reiterate I merely read said article.

However as for the triple crown, you could still have same, just involve France and call it something else........le trophee European or such like, and stick the old shield in the museum with the Calcutta Cup as it is about knackered now in any case............................................just saying!
You don't know much about rugby, do you?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Absolutely nothing, I merely played the game for 37 years, refereed for 6 and assessed referees up to last year.

You, however, obviously are unable to distinguish something said 'tongue in cheek.
Well if you were a ref that just prooves you know sweet FA about the game! :D

Dicey

LE
FFS, this thread is total bollox.Who's actually moaning about Scotland's performance (apart from the Scots themselves) in the 6N and why ?

Dumping or replacing Scotland is not an option. They may be not as good as they once were, but every other team in the 6N has been where they are now at one time or another.

I'd be delighted if every team in the 6N's was strong enough to challange the SH teams on a regular basis - but we're not and probably never will be. The 6N is about tradition, bragging rights and to a lesser extent a measure of the strength of the NH.

It's not about relegation/promotion, never has been and hopefully never will be. **** Romania, Georgia or whoever else, I and probably many hundreds of thousands of ordinary fans, look forward to the annual tribal rugby fest which is the 6N.

FFS, this thread is total bollox.Who's actually moaning about Scotland's performance (apart from the Scots themselves) in the 6N and why ?

Dumping or replacing Scotland is not an option. They may be not as good as they once were, but every other team in the 6N has been where they are now at one time or another.

I'd be delighted if every team in the 6N's was strong enough to challange the SH teams on a regular basis - but we're not and probably never will be. The 6N is about tradition, bragging rights and to a lesser extent a measure of the strength of the NH.

It's not about relegation/promotion, never has been and hopefully never will be. **** Romania, Georgia or whoever else, I and probably many hundreds of thousands of ordinary fans, look forward to the annual tribal rugby fest which is the 6N.

No moaning, merely bringing attention to an article in todays newspaper. Debate is all.

Dicey

LE
Just read it in the Mail.

Shit paper
Shittier article
Shittiest writer

That is all.

B

bokkatankie

Akin to saying the RWC can't be a world cup if Kyrgyzstan aren't represented.....the fact they don't play the game, or if so are shite would therefore be no reason.
Utter tripe

Latest Threads