Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Nations 2014

It's nearly that time again.

All things 6 nations here:
Official RBS 6 Nations Rugby : RBS 6 Nations fixtures announced for 2014 & 2015 Championships

Fixtures for 2014:

http://www.rbs6nations.com/RBS6NationsChampionshipFixtures20142015.pdf

Opening days fixtures.

1/2 February
Wales v Italy Sat 2.30
France v England Sat 5.00
Ireland v Scotland Sun 3.00

Nice easy start for England!

Lancaster announced his 6 Nations squad yesterday:

ENGLAND RBS 6 NATIONS SQUAD (35, assembling at Pennyhill Park Hotel on Monday, January 20)

Forwards (18)

David Attwood (Bath Rugby)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Matt Kvesic (Gloucester Rugby)
Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs)
Joe Launchbury (London Wasps)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby)
Matt Mullan (London Wasps)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Ed Slater (Leicester Tigers)
Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
Rob Webber (Bath Rugby)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)
Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Backs (17)

Chris Ashton (Saracens)
Brad Barritt (Saracens)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Bath Rugby)
Alex Goode (Saracens)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
Stephen Myler (Northampton Saints)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)

I think it's good he's got a few youngsters in the squad. great to see George Ford there. I personally don't think Toby Flood going to France is such a bad thing for England. I hope Alex Corbisiero makes a full recovery this year ready for the world cup. He will be missed in the 6 Nations. England desperately need a centre partnership that can attack as well as defend, but I think they have as good a pack as ever.
I will make no predictions at this stage, because I am always way off, but I am sure it will be a close run thing as always.

Cue Dicey, The Guru and Auld_Yin (we need an Irish fan to balance the books)

Out of interest, and coz I don't know :-? what sort of latitude are the nations allowed when it comes to their squads? Can they simply top up as necessary?

I see Ashton somehow maintains his hold over the selection board and has a place however.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I'm not arsed who's shagging who's cat in order to get selected. All I care about is the fact that I'm going to be at the Italy v England game on the final weekend :)

Out of interest, and coz I don't know :-? what sort of latitude are the nations allowed when it comes to their squads? Can they simply top up as necessary?

I'm pretty sure they can call in who they want. I think all the home nations only recruit from players playing within the home nations (certainly England do). Once the players are named in the elite squad, they are released from their respective clubs to train and play in the competition.The problem comes when you have to convince the club side that they should release a player half way through the tournament as a replacement.

I see Ashton somehow maintains his hold over the selection board and has a place however.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Apparently missing tackles is in England's gameplan again this year.

What does the final table look like in everyone's opinion? I reckon Wales to win it (no GS though). England second after beating Italy in Rome to push France into third. Ireland, Scotland, and Italy with wooden Spoon.

I'm pretty sure they can call in who they want. I think all the home nations only recruit from players playing within the home nations (certainly England do). Once the players are named in the elite squad, they are released from their respective clubs to train and play in the competition.The problem comes when you have to convince the club side that they should release a player half way through the tournament as a replacement.

Jonathan Sexton is at Racing and still eligible for Ireland selection. I suspect that by next year there will be several others from the "home" nations playing in France.

Dicey

LE
Most of the first choice Wales XV is/will be playing in France/England this year plus there's a (very un) civil war going on between the WRU and RRW (the four rugby regions) all of which means rugby in Wales is in shit-order and going downhill fast.

The supporters and fans - those who actually pay to go and see the weekly crap currently being served up - are being short-changed because of vested interests and the vigorous willy-waving contest between the Union and the Regions

Afraid I can't get excited anymore so don't really give a rat's arse who wins.

How about the ARRSE fantasy league?

ESPNscrum Fantasy Rugby - International Game 2014

For those unfamiliar with the format, just enter a team, chose a kicker, then apply to enter the ARRSE league.

The league is called "ARRSE League of Gentlemen" and the pin. no. is 48343.

I have entered a lucky dip team "The Happy Hookers" just to get things started.

Rapidly heading this way myself, and up until relatively recently I took my holidays to coincide with the 6N.

Scotland squad for the 6 nations:

Scotland squad

Forwards: John Beattie (Montpellier), Kelly Brown (Saracens), Geoff Cross, David Denton, Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford (all Edinburgh Rugby), Chris Fusaro (Glasgow Warriors), Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby), Ryan Grant, Jonny Gray (both Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Castres), Jim Hamilton (Montpellier), Robert Harley (Glasgow Warriors), Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons), Kieran Low (London Irish), Moray Low, Pat MacArthur (both Glasgow Warriors), Ross Rennie (Edinburgh Rugby) Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan), Tim Swinson and Ryan Wilson (both Glasgow Warriors).

Backs: Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors), Nick De Luca (Edinburgh Rugby), Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Max Evans (Castres), Dougie Fife (Edinburgh Rugby), Stuart Hogg, Ruaridh Jackson, Sean Lamont (all Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby), Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Taylor (Saracens), Greig Tonks (Edinburgh Rugby) and Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors).

Injured list: Al Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors), Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors) and Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby).

I think they might miss Visser and Kellock. Good to see the vast majority of players ply their trade in Scotland. (Wales take note)

(Wales take note)

Why? In an ideal world Wales could afford to pick players only playing in Wales, but with things as they are, many of the better players are plying their trade outside of Wales. It'd be a brave/daft thing to leave out players of North's calibre etc, just to make a point about it.

I think they might miss Visser and Kellock. Good to see the vast majority of players ply their trade in Scotland. (Wales take note)

I believe the days when anyone is able to make statements like these are numbered, very numbered.

Union is about to become a "for profit" sport, the only question is how long it takes.

Pitster

Old-Salt
Union is about to become a "for profit" sport, the only question is how long it takes.

Do you not think that this has already happened? Austin Healey has already described players as pieces of meat as far as the clubs are concerned (although most of us know what a gobshite he is) but with this (Premiership) Season's rumours, gossip and speculation over a few players (Flood & Burns among others) it looks like the transfer market is becoming more and more like that of the round-ball game.

Although I am glad to see the back of Flood I am pleased to see Myler in the mix for England, but am in danger of following suit as I don't know if I'd rather see Myler turning out for Northampton than England with the Premiership form he's in.

I am concerned about the developments in the clubs/regions versus national unions stand off and with the money driven power struggle. I do fear for the future of the game. Having said that rugby union remains, to my mind, far and away the best sport to be involved in both as a participant/club member and as a fan who attends games and watches the sport on the box.

I am looking forward to this 6N, and am taking my son to see Wales v Italy for the opening game of our campaign.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hee! Got a ticket for Wales Vs Scotland at the Millennium - can't wait ! :excited:

( thanks WelshBird )

Now all I need is to be able to sing this without humming....

Hee! Got a ticket for Wales Vs Scotland at the Millennium - can't wait ! :excited:

( thanks WelshBird )

Now all I need is to be able to sing this without humming....

Flower of Scotland would be easier to learn! ^_~

Latest Threads