6 Canadians die in Afghanistan 08/04/07

Sad sad news :( RIP and condolences to the families of those who died.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6537545.stm

Six Canadian soldiers serving with the Nato-led force in south Afghanistan have been killed.

They died when the vehicle they were travelling in hit an explosive device, a statement from Nato's International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) said.

"Our hearts ache for them and their families," said Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

This is the worst single incident for the Nato-led force in Afghanistan for several months.

Mr Harper confirmed the deaths in the town of Verlinghem, France, while on a visit to mark the 90th anniversary of the World War I Battle of Vimy Ridge.

"Sadly, today has been a difficult day in Afghanistan. We have learned that an incident has claimed the lives of six Canadian soldiers and injured a number of others," he said.

"I know that as we gather here on Easter Sunday our hearts and prayers are with them."

Worst year

An Isaf spokeswoman told the BBC there had been no civilian casualties and that all signs pointed to the Taleban.

"Certainly it lends itself to the type of tactic that Taleban extremists use," Lt Col Angela Billings said.

[The Taleban] resort to this type of tactic in order to hide in the shadows
Lt Col Angela Billings, Isaf

"Because they cannot beat us conventionally or tactically, they resort to this type of tactic in order to hide in the shadows."

Canadian and British troops make up most of the Isaf forces in the south.

"The Ministry of Defence is not aware of any UK involvement," said a British government spokeswoman earlier, referring to the latest incident.

The Taleban are maintaining strong opposition to Nato, particularly in the south and east.

Last year saw the worst fighting in Afghanistan since coalition troops ousted the Taleban in 2001 with some 4,000 people believed to have been killed - about a quarter of them civilians.

Helmand has been the focus of a recent operation by Isaf troops against militants.

About 100 insurgents have been killed in it so far, officials say.

RIP there, as always thoughts are with family, friends and collegues at this sad time.

I heard about this earlier and prayed it wasn't british troops...I now feel guilty about the Canadians. Rest in peace fellas, my thoughts and prayers are with your oppos, families and friends...you died doing the job you loved and for that we are grateful.

RIP

RIP guys.
Condolenses to the families.

RIP

RIP
my condolences to the families at this terrible time

Wow. The Canadians are taking a lot of casualties.....they are being quite impressive though in their actions and it's good they are there

Latest Threads