Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

6 British Ex-Soldiers Held in Indian Prison - Petition for Release

I thought it was 9mths non domicile for tax exemption… ?

Not as a Seaman., with a Seamans book or certificate from the captain showing time at sea

You have to be out of the country 6 months a year serving on an oceangoing vessel with at least 1 foreign port call ,and you have to be out more than you are in at any point of the year, you cant play catch up.

The caveat is that in time of war or need you can and will be seconded to merchant vessels ,or any ship in fact serving under the Navy.

Yes, because no one likes personnel who wish to work abroad, in places that are not quite Surbiton or Warwick and spend time away from family and a caveat of that is we dont pay tax. But we do pay NI etc and our families still continue to pay tax. Maybe i should ring up HMRC and say, "i would like to donate this extra money i made to you, as i dont sleep at night so the Government can send it to most likely the very country im working in or that heffer White Dee on Benefits Street!"

It'a a shame the Indian government don't go out hunting down the pirates that are terrorising the sea's. It would prevent ex squaddies for whatever reason from being caught in breach of their laws.

Don't get me wrong! They are all grown lads and knew the risks but it's a fact that if there was more pro-active inter government enforcement against pirates other than just a few boats fannying around down there, commercial vessels going about their lawful business wouldn't need to hire guys with guns to sit on their ships.

I've signed.

It'a a shame the Indian government don't go out hunting down the pirates that are terrorising the sea's. It would prevent ex squaddies for whatever reason from being caught in breach of their laws.

Don't get me wrong! They are all grown lads and knew the risks but it's a fact that if there was more pro-active inter government enforcement against pirates other than just a few boats fannying around down there, commercial vessels going about their lawful business wouldn't need to hire guys with guns to sit on their ships.

I've signed.

A big part of the problem is the Government officials, especially at a local level, who are assisting the pirates in one way or another, and they wont want to kill off the Golden Goose.

A lot of the companies doing anti piracy we looked at were real chancers, and even after a lot of research we still didnt get it 100% right.

They cant afford to hunt terrorists, they have a space race to come 4th in.

So are these guys still banged up? I couldnt decifer the monoparagraph above somewhere.

I have to say that the FCO have - again - come under fire for not 'magicing' these now-civilians out of someone else's jurisdiction. The FCO is one of the smallest Departments of State and under enormous budgetary and resources pressures. Consular officers are some of the hardest working civil servants that I have ever met. They spend a vast amount of their time sorting out other peoples' sh!t as well as being the local registrar for all British citizens and those with 'protected status' (the depiction of the consular officer in 'The Ambassadors' was particularly apposite).

I have no doubt that HMG has made representations at National and local levels, however, HMG - along with most other nations - cannot be seen to be interfering with local practices and procedures, especially when these are often linked to local politics. These persons being Ex military is a red herring; it might imply that they had been qualified in the past to carry weapons, but it confers no additional status on them now.

The question could be asked - what is the flag state of the vessel (USA) doing about this?

Gosh poor little white boys being treated badly because they broke the law. Heart, purple, is bleeding...not

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Not relevant but theres a beach in Goa where for a few shekels you can go out into a bay and if timed right you can get in the oggin with dolphins, they're a bit rough to be fair and its a unique experience but on the hillside to the right on the way out into the bay theres a prison, cant remember its name but it was a huge white expanse that blended into the rock face, as we fucked about with the dolphins someone was waving a Union Jack from what must have been a cell, the guy on the tiller said it was British guys, smugglers, serving harsh time, didnt look like the most fun place on earth to be banged up apart from the view.

Can someone clarify if the ex-Argyll who features with monotonous regularity in the Aberdeen Press & Journal as being held in some ex-colonial shit-hole is one of these six?

I ask because I want to be sure my indifference is being properly directed - I'm totally indifferent to the fate of the six who are the subject of this thread; if the guy in the P&J is covered by that, then great, otherwise I'll have to summon up some indifference just for him.

Indifference, it's the new outrage ....

Those of us who served in the British Army, joined a family for life. Like a family we can take the piss and rag each other, complain about or congratulate each other, comiserate or support each other. We earned that right by serving together and at different times and in different places because we are/were a British Soldier.

We come in all shapes and sizes, some good, some bad, some smart, some a bit thick. When one of us is in trouble and trouble comes to us all at some point in our lives, we should remember that if we can, we should help our family.

We should help because he/she is our brother or sister. We should help, remembering that we are human and at some time we all need help. We should help especially if they are going through a nightmare in one of the world's shitholes run by a corrupt regime.

As many of you will know, if you complete 5 years service in the Foreign Legion, you are given a phone number that you can call from anywhere in the world when you are in trouble and someone will come to your aid. (As an aside to those with a smart answer, wind your neck-in). So what are you going to do for our brother who's in the shit?

Are you going to debate the legality, which I'm sure will impress him with your legal insight and your skill as a barrack-room laywer or are you going to do something because your brother needs you?

Me, I'm getting as many people as I can to sign this petition and try and get our selfish, lazy politicians to do something that benefits someone else for a change.

What are you going to do?

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petiti...campaign=41452&alert_id=rindDIbYbc_rTQIEZjwXH

What am I going to do?

Sweet FA. With big bucks come big risks. They took the money so they take the risks. No one forced them and they are all big boys.

What am I going to do? The question is, what is the Flag State doing about 'their' ship and crew that have been lawfully detained? The fact that they claim to be ex military is, frankly, irrelevant. Do I sign petitions for every former serviceman who is in prison in the UK? No.

Do I show compassions for those ex SP who fall on hard times - yes I do. Do I care about mercenaries? No I don't. I did a bit of digging around this matter and as you know, the FCO have been very active in this case, however their powers are limited. There is neither scope for some sort of Cold War spy-swap, nor is a team from UKSF going to rappel into the Prison and spring these guys. My suggestion is that you petition the Indian High Commission in London - that is the court in which the ball firmly rests. I wish you luck.