6.5x55 suitable for boar

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Pigshyt_Freeman, Oct 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to Devon and Cornwall police, anyway. When renewing my SGC the other day, the firearms enquiry officer volunteered the information, apparently they'll happily add boar to the FAC for calibres from Swede upward now, not .270 as previously.

I don't know whether this is a national thing or just here in the west country.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sadly and very infuriatingly just where you are and also kent. Kent apparently dont seem to care and they can be taken as vermin in connection with estate and wildlife management. They legally have no season so cant legally be quarry so arent protected in law (according to a contact in Kent) so .223 if you are insane enough!
    I have lobbied for 6.5 for about 5 years in Sussex but have got nowhere thanks to BASC!
  3. I would think that in the intermediate to light calibres that bullet weight and energy are of more importance than calibre. I wouldn't fancy pursuing one with less that 303/308, preferably the former with a 174 - 210 gr bullet.

Unless I had 45-70 at hand....

Is my thinking wrong on this?
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not really especially if thats your choice, for BASC unelected committee members to ignore 100 years of Scandinavian Hunting practice and then the poxy home office to deem it to be almost mandatory is pisstaking at ministerial level!
    My choice is 12 bore slug unless I'm in a two seater high seat and whatever I fancy on my own. Sadly the rozzers seem to believe their own hype!
  5. Not from my Kent FEO.

He was ok with .270 and above for boar but wanted chapter and verse about where I would be shooting them
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Same as Sussex then. I'd be happy with 6.5 Swede upwards, considering it's such a massively effective calibre.

There's a couple of my customers who've gone for the underlever 45-70 option, but I think it's just for the kicks myself (large, shoulder-bruising kicks of course).

If anyone out there thinks themselves a proper homme, come down to my store and I'll flog you a Boar Spear. The idea is that you (dressed only in camo Y-fronts) shout 'woot woot woot, you piggy faced bastard' while running full tilt at a sounder of pigs with your spear out front. If you get one, hang on long enough, have someone filming it to go on YouTube (as evidence) and you survive . . . . . I'll give you a crisp fiver.
  7. I was planning to get a .300 Win Mag or bigger for boar, however I hove noticed this projectile available from Hornady, and wondered if anyone had an opinion to offer on the effectiveness of such an implement when fired from a Swede? Much as I like buying firearms, I'd sooner use what I have if I can, though I'd rate 'not getting killed by a wounded boar' over 'economy' every time.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .264 6.5mm :: 6.5mm .264 160 gr InterLock® RN
  8. I think the old - and real - method showed even bigger cojones than that - insult the boar, spill it's pint and call it a poof and get it to charge you whilst you are crouched down with the base of the spear jammed against the bottom of a large tree. The cross piece of the spear about 18 ins down from the tip is to stop it running down the length of the shaft to remonstrate with you.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Hornady Interlock is their answer to Nosler Partition. Both excellent rounds and I use the partitions in 140 grain and that generates an almost identical ME to the .270 which is supposedly the minimum suitable. The 160 grain load is closer to the military spec ball and I believe is also the weight used by DWM Bell for his 1500 nellies although he used copper solids!
  10. As a boar round, I'm choosing between 140-grn Hornady SSTs and the 160 InterBonds. I already use the 129-grn SSTs for deer and they knock a Red down on the spot. One reason for the InterBonds - easier to tell the two rounds apart.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

provided you are happy with adjusting the scope for loads then sounds good to me. I did develop a 125 grain .311 load for my .303 that shot to the same poi as 150 grain normas so I could chop and change loads by swapping mags. Daft really but it worked!
  12. Is this what they use in Kiwiland? :)
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Guns in evidence but weapons of last resort it seems!
  14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That'll be one of these, and it's what I'm flogging to anyone many enough to put his nuts on the line . . . . .

15. Thanks, but I'll pass on the spear.

The dogs and I got chased by a wild boar here in HK about 5 years ago. Obviously we aren't made of the sterner stuff Kiwis are made of, because the speed all three of us ran away from the hairy ****** would have made Usain Bolt look like Thora Hird in a stairlift.