6.5 mm Calibres - The Agony of Choice

Any helpful advice/observations would be most welcome. A while ago I had the pleasure of having a 'cabby with a turn of the (last) century 6.5 mm Mannlicher / Schonauer ( SP ?) bolt action rife which was loaded by means of a 5 round stripper clip. Ticket is now up for renewal and as I have some spare cash at the moment am considering applying for a variation to get a slot on my ticket for a rifle in one of these calibres. As there seem to be so many variants of the 6.5 calibre ranging from modern ( Grendel) to the very ancient any recommendations would be most welcome. Rifle to be used for a bit of occasional Bambi Bashing - Fallow and Sika mostly .

6.5 Swedish. Available in modern rifles that have proper scope bases. Ammunition fairly widespread.

You can get the same ballistics in a smaller package with some of the more modern offerings but you won't get the choice.

Tikka in 6.5 Swede would do the job I should think.

ugly

LE
Lovely cartridge the swede, I have a few in swede, unless you are really into hand loading I'd start with the swede and then maybe a few years down the road look at something a little more exotic. Privi do a fine round in 140 grain loading for the swede and its a sufficiently well enough built bullet to do the job. Keep the brass.

6.5x55. You can get 100gr solids for shooting capercaillie out of trees with. On that fact alone you should buy one.

clayp1g

War Hero
Grendel for me I have taken fallow with mine and have taken it out to 1000y. It is not fussy on what its fed. Your can get factory loads or roll you own. I have a load that gets a 123 SST pill to 2700 fps safely.

Whichever one you choose its a great bullet.

The Swede. Absolutely fantastic cal, hugely versatile and can shoot well at longer ranges with the right choice of bullet. I have a Howa 1500, the stock was crap but with a change of clothes its a tackdriver consistently achieving cloverleaf groups at 100m.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Swede. Absolutely fantastic cal, hugely versatile and can shoot well at longer ranges with the right choice of bullet. I have a Howa 1500, the stock was crap but with a change of clothes its a tackdriver consistently achieving cloverleaf groups at 100m.

Sorry to drag this up.

I'm seriously thinking of splashing out on a 1500 in .270.

Any good? I was gonna go for the "stealth" version which is just a black plastic stock, but they do laminate jobs in various colours etc.

Thoughts?

Howa 1500 Stealth Hunter Combo Bolt Action .270 Rifles | GunStar

Been messing around with different combinations of bullet design /propellant types for 6.5 x 55 for a while and have got to say this has provided possibly some of the best fun you can have with your clothes on.
An incredibly versatile round with a cross sectional density that makes 7.62 NATO performance somewhat shoddy when all is said and done.
The datum point for measuring performance has been the Privi factory loads - but not too many of them as I'm a tightwad. I'd like to source some 180 grain FMJ on a "what happens if basis".

Wholly agree about laminates being better than polymer for the furniture.

Sorry to drag this up.

I'm seriously thinking of splashing out on a 1500 in .270.

Any good? I was gonna go for the "stealth" version which is just a black plastic stock, but they do laminate jobs in various colours etc.

Thoughts?

Howa 1500 Stealth Hunter Combo Bolt Action .270 Rifles | GunStar

I have a 1500 in .243" with the black plastic stock - very nice little rifle that shoots well up to my usual maximum range of 250m. I would prefer a detachable box magazine rather than the hinge plate, but I believe this is available as an after-market extra.

Not sure what it would be like in .270, but in .243 with my lump of a Wildcat mod, recoil is not much more noticeable than a .22!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have a 1500 in .243" with the black plastic stock - very nice little rifle that shoots well up to my usual maximum range of 250m. I would prefer a detachable box magazine rather than the hinge plate, but I believe this is available as an after-market extra.

Not sure what it would be like in .270, but in .243 with my lump of a Wildcat mod, recoil is not much more noticeable than a .22!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers.

I'm pretty sold on it. I don't like the laminate stocks because they all have pistol grips or thumb hole jobbies.

I just want a normal shaped traditional stock. The plastic one looks about right.

Worse case scenario it turns out shit and I'll just use the old boys network to get a decent bespoke one knocked up.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sold on it. I don't like the laminate stocks because they all have pistol grips or thumb hole jobbies.

I just want a normal shaped traditional stock. The plastic one looks about right.

Worse case scenario it turns out shit and I'll just use the old boys network to get a decent bespoke one knocked up.
Howa are straight shooters, but I wager you will be disatisfied by the aesthetics of it. There are after market stocks already out there which do the trick. The plastic stock is plasticky (not surprisingly perhaps) bit there is a difference between these and other sythetic stocks that have more substance. They certainly shoot straoght though. In .270 they hop about a bit. Are you fitting a mod?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Howa are straight shooters, but I wager you will be disatisfied by the aesthetics of it. There are after market stocks already out there which do the trick. The plastic stock is plasticky (not surprisingly perhaps) bit there is a difference between these and other sythetic stocks that have more substance. They certainly shoot straoght though. In .270 they hop about a bit. Are you fitting a mod?

I was just gonna go for that one in the link. Straight off the shelf.

Upgrade the optics when I get the chance and take it from there.

It's for plinking in my garden.

I was just gonna go for that one in the link. Straight off the shelf.

Upgrade the optics when I get the chance and take it from there.

It's for plinking in my garden.
Ah, .270- the gentleman's calibre choice for friendly-on-the-shoulder plinking :-D

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In all seriousness, you lot need to man the **** up. .270 is child's play compared to .375, .470 and 500.

Always loved a .270.

Even crazy left handed ones built for giants.

image.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How the fùck long is that?! 16 3/4"?

Manly. I don't recall the measurements but I'm about 6'1" / 6'2" for some perspective.

Large scroll engraving, Swarovski optics, very nice piece of wood, Granite Mountain action.

Came in at about 35k if memory serves.

Bargain.

I must confess I've yet to fire a .270 that didn't let me know both in recoil and report. What is odd is that I've fired a 7mm Rem Magnum and felt it less. Curious.