6/17-pdrs and HE

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by FuerzaAereaIrlanda, Jul 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all
    Could someone please explain, if it hasn't been done already, why these guns were not able to fire HE?
  2. I think you may be mistaken about this. I think there wasHE round for the 17 pdr. http://www.wwiiequipment.com/17pounder.aspx

Both were designed in the middle of a war with the sole aim of producing the best anti tank gun they could and bring it into service ASAP. HE or smoke rounds were niceties.

British "doctrine" tended to favour single role weapons. So the 6pdr AT gun was designed to be used as an Anti tank gun or fit tanks designed for killing tanks. 1941/2 doctrine still had a number of Close support tasnks with howitzers for use against dug in targets.

The British didnlt think there was any point in having small calibre HE so never bothered for the 6pdr, whereas the Germans had He for their 50mm equivalent.
  3. A shrapnel round was also available for the 17pdr.

A number of chemical rounds were also experimented with, but it is unclear if these were ever fired in anger or if they were in any great quantities.
  4. Hi all
    thanks for that.I thought the only HE round, of any kind, used in the 17pdr, was a HEAT round.
  5. There were Chemical Shelll developed for the 2/6/17 ATK Guns. The problem was they were experimental and being direct fire weapons they looked like - Proof Shot! Deep joy ploughing around former P&EE's :D

However I also seem to recall that all of the variants of these guns had HE rounds of some sort.