6-11-2018 Odds of a Cyber scuffle??

Everytime someone brings up cyber attacks on power plants, I can't help but think of this (in terms of power plant cyber security)

Found these interesting articles.

The Pentagon Has Prepared a Cyberattack Against Russia

The Pentagon Reportedly Has A Secret Plan To Launch A Cyber Attack On Russia Over Future Election Interference

So I do think that while I am voting Tuesday morning along with millions of other Americans. The US military will be having a go at not only Russia but China as well in the new Cold War. Sadly this is the kind of stuff we will never hear about until well past the event if ever. Anybody care to post their views on the likelihood of cyber strikes happening while we bullshit on Arrse and bitch about the Donald?
It'll be interesting to see what the official view of any Russian attempt to influence the 'mid terms' is. Many are saying whilst it's less obvious, they are still trolling (which made me wonder why Sergey's quiet at the moment):
Russia seen adopting new tactics in U.S. election interference efforts | Reuters
“The Russians are definitely not sitting this one out,” said Graham Brookie, director of the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab. “They have adapted over time to increased (U.S.) focus on influence operations.”
Whether the US does respond with it's (not so) Secret plan, is a separate matter as well.

It'll be interesting to see what the official view of any Russian attempt to influence the 'mid terms' is. Many are saying whilst it's less obvious, they are still trolling (which made me wonder why Sergey's quiet at the moment):
Russia seen adopting new tactics in U.S. election interference efforts | Reuters

Whether the US does respond with it's (not so) Secret plan, is a separate matter as well.
Which is why we need to hit them back hard. Making their hackers legit military targets would also be on my top list. Killing off quite a few would make life easier, and in today’s day and age yars would have to go.

Which is why we need to hit them back hard. Making their hackers legit military targets would also be on my top list. Killing off quite a few would make life easier,
I doubt even with US ROEs you'd get approval for a TLAM strike on St Petersburg
and in today’s day and age yars would have to go.
He's useful in showing the kind of extremists that exist over there. They're not unique obviously, but they are of a kind

I doubt even with US ROEs you'd get approval for a TLAM strike on St Petersburg

He's useful in showing the kind of extremists that exist over there. They're not unique obviously, but they are of a kind
I doubt the US mainland would be spared by the Ivan’s. If we were in the NATO vs Russia scuffle they will do their best to hit us here. I would not be inclined to leave Mother Russia untouched either.

They are useful but they should still be priority targets.

On the voting machines, we seem to have a new system here in East Tennessee. Last election, you went to the booth, used the touch screen to cast your vote and left. The machines electronically tallied the votes.

I voted last week for this election. Now you make your selections, and the machine prints out a voting slip, recording your votes, but no other info. You then check that the slip correctly shows who you want to vote for and take the slip to another machine at the end. That is basically a scanner. It scans your votes, and then you put the slip into a sealed ballot box.

If either of the machines are vulnerable to USB infiltration, that is trivial to defend against. Just epoxy the external connectors. If the machine doesn't have an internal connector to use for upgrades etc, then they need to rev the PCB and include one.

I prefer the new system; if there is suspicion that there was interference, or a recount is required, the actual votes can be re-tallied. By hand, if required.

I don't know If these machines are nationwide, or a local thing, but they're much better in terms of avoiding "hanging chads" and the like.

One thing I will say is that the turnout seems to be high; the electoral commission building has been mobbed for the last two weeks, lines out the door to vote early.

I doubt the US mainland would be spared by the Ivan’s. If we were in the NATO vs Russia scuffle they will do their best to hit us here. I would not be inclined to leave Mother Russia untouched either.
I’m answering this part with current ROEs
Which is why we need to hit them back hard. Making their hackers legit military targets would also be on my top list. Killing off quite a few would make life easier,
They are useful but they should still be priority targets.
Once it all goes ‘bang’, of course

Which is why we need to hit them back hard. Making their hackers legit military targets would also be on my top list. Killing off quite a few would make life easier, and in today’s day and age yars would have to go.
Hold on a minute.

Before we go all Smert Spioniem (or more properly, Смерть шпионам, I believe - wrong language for me).

Perhaps we could pause and think. I'm going to have to re-read what I am sure is a fun thread right up my shariah before engaging what passes for my brain.

Fiction has done this sort of thing before you know....

Can I just say, I read that idly as I sat down this morning.

I happened to be wearing my National Museum of Computing T-Shirt*, which uncomfortably morphed into a bulls-eye....

*Absoutely wonderful place, can I encourage anyone to visit. Co-located with Bletchley Park, which is likewise gorgeous.
Everyone is welcome, you can even take your other half. If you have the social skills to ensnare one. Mumble, mumble, who needs relationships my Raspberry Pi loves me.

The National Museum of Computing

Can I just say, I read that idly as I sat down this morning.

I happened to be wearing my National Museum of Computing T-Shirt*, which uncomfortably morphed into a bulls-eye....

*Absoutely wonderful place, can I encourage anyone to visit. Co-located with Bletchley Park, which is likewise gorgeous.
Everyone is welcome, you can even take your other half. If you have the social skills to ensnare one. Mumble, mumble, who needs relationships my Raspberry Pi loves me.

The National Museum of Computing
Nerd!

But on a more serious note.
Russian, Chinese, Iranian, hackers would be absolute legit targets. No point in letting them cause as much potential damage, and not letting them know they will also run the risk of getting slotted. All’s fair you know.

Considering things with Iran look to be going sideways, this might be a potential time to target them. Of course everyone will be in on the cyber end of things.

Nerd!

But on a more serious note.
Russian, Chinese, Iranian, hackers would be absolute legit targets. No point in letting them cause as much potential damage, and not letting them know they will also run the risk of getting slotted. All’s fair you know.

Considering things with Iran look to be going sideways, this might be a potential time to target them. Of course everyone will be in on the cyber end of things.
"No! I said what version of SHA do they have?" :pc::jocolor:

Sorry real life is getting the way here, I will re-read this (and I hope I am note making points made elsewhere).

A) Attribution.

We have seen how tricky it is to attribute cyber activity. I am not sure if Trump actually accepts the Russian interference. The indictments and Mueller report have intricate technical details if you care to read them, which obviously he has not or does not accept?

Without attribution, who do you target?

B) Enabling?

Currently I have seen serious extremist material on Tutanota, Protonmail and Telegram (other services are available). So do we target them?

Just a random example.

Entry level (it's a relative term) Cyber skills course in Cairo.

CEH (v10) Certification - Ethical Hacking training course in Cairo

Does this become the new target list? What about the American Company offering training?

C) Proportionality.

Is it proportionate to kill for on-line effects?
Is it proportionate to kill for real world effects caused by the on-world?
Is it on economic damage or does life have to be lost.

This is a very complex place, which I imagine is being struggled with by wiser Government minds than me.

But I look forward to the debate!

i think this is the group known as GOTHIC PANDA

Intro to the Gothic Panda APT group

I believe this relates to DOUBLE PULSAR and ETERNAL BLUE exploits which are technically brilliant and would be lovely if we could un-invent them.

The Symantic report on the issue is fascinating (even to an amateur like me).

Buckeye: Espionage Outfit Used Equation Group Tools Prior to Shadow Brokers Leak

I should have put a (D) to my list above - Are you prepared for the weapons to be re-verse engineered and chucked back at you, and it is a lot easier to kill people in the West than other regimes.

Do we really want ComicCon or Black Hat hit by VX or Novichock taking out our staff (or potential futuer) when a pissed off dictator repays us in kind?