6-11-2018 Odds of a Cyber scuffle??

Nope, not that I have payed attention.
So he's going to authorise retaliation for Russian interference he's so far denied ever took place?

That's a stretch even by his normally high standard of baaaaaaa.

I'm just impressed the OP got the date format correct in the thread title.

It's a 9 Oz bacon round for ballistic use but which you can eat in an emergency.
Let’s do some maths. With at least 18 servings per can at 60 calories per serving that is a septic snack. Or half the calories an adult needs in a normal day. It is like McDonalds in a portable can! All we
need to complete this abortion is some hard boiled eggs, and an English muffin. Maybe a slice of American Pasteurized cheese product!

If only, but after a bit of time on this forum that is plainly false. Many Brits will be fired up and ready to spar Wednesday.
I bet Tim from MAC, Eric and Chad from Iraq8888 are heading towards the border.

All I’m getting from my mates in America who are still active service members is, unlawful, we would have shot every one in the following countries, Kosovo, Iraq, Somalia, Afghanistan, Libya, Northern Ireland and The former Yugoslavia.

Last few my additions.

I bet Tim from MAC, Eric and Chad from Iraq8888 are heading towards the border.

All I’m getting from my mates in America who are still active service members is, unlawful, we would have shot every one in the following countries, Kosovo, Iraq, Somalia, Afghanistan, Libya, Northern Ireland and The former Yugoslavia.

Last few my additions.
Trump walks a fine line, but I trust Mattis to handle it. If the deployment numbers go from 5500 or so to 15,000 then things will be getting serious.

We have moved on.....

If you're going to cook it that crispy then shove it in a can why bother cooking it at all? Just make biltong with it and have done. Los Yanquis - Over complicating simple shit since 1776...

Our cyber spooks were under a slightly different chain of command with rules to match. In a way the Donald has made it easier for them to take the gloves off.

What Do the Trump Administration’s Changes to PPD-20 Mean for U.S. Offensive Cyber Operations?
Can I recommend you have a listen to this.

HORNS OF A DILEMMA: The Threat Assessment - War on the Rocks

The rule of engagement for cyber have been under debate for years (I remember a contemporary writing his MSc thesis on a "Cyber Pearl Harbour" in 1999.

Multiple issues exists around this.

a) Provenance. I did mention on another thread that the start of the Russia indictment was with the mention of illegal operatives acquiring cyber infrastrcuture within the US to conceal the provenance of any attack. So if your "off the leash Cyber spooks" can only go and DDOS GoDaddy, they aren't much use.

B) Direction.

The intelligence cycle starts with Direction. You can see where I am going here.

So when the person who gives direction, your Illustrious Head of State still does not appear to accept foreign interference in an election (alright, he might this one; but that would open the obvious "what about the last one" question - how is the intelligence cycle to deal with that? Ignore the head of state and just crack on? That's some "deep state" stuff going on there.

c) Proportionality.

I accept not much of a problem to a chap who says people who throw stones should be fired upon with lethal force, but a long established question in this debate.

So, if you can establish who did it and how (tricky, the usual quote for the length of time before a company realises it has been breached is a year according to one set of reporting I was reading).

What do you do?

The Tailored Access Opertions department* have some top toys to get into places, I have no doubt. But is it proportionate to do economic or political damage to a foreign state. You wouldn't drop a tomahawk down a power station chiminey would you? So why is it OK to destroy the SCADA systems.

d) Vulnerability.

If the US (and west) wants to start a pissing contect here, we have to seriously up our game. We are uniquely vulnerable.

Here's 34,154 computers vulnerable to an exploit know about years ago (NotPetya - google it if you want to stay awake at night). I would bet that not all these are patched, and if I (and I of course would not) launched this available malware which has no unique nation state signature..... I'd get some computers, causing economic damage and I would hit the headlines.

We need to up out defensive ground game, or we are going to get tapped, snapped or napped in the opening stages of the game**.

Screenshot 2018-11-03 at 09.45.44.png

Hopefully this is helpful as to why we simply cannot threaten to turn the lights out.

And it also illustrates why i spend a lot of my time here taking the piss out of the Donald, because he seems uniquely ill-qualified for the basics of modern statecraft. If I can consider all the above (and I am not the brightest bunny in the warren), you'd like to think POTUS would be cleverer than me.

*The secret bit of NSA developing exploits, whose existence and internal structure was helpfully leaked by Wikileaks. You know, "Wikileaks. I love Wikileaks"... who said that? I can't quite remember.

** This is why we will struggle to recruit and retain the people we need - stop pursuing the likes of Marcus Hutchins you knobs.

It might help if the US didn't have a completely stupid and unprotected (cyber wise) voting system.
A ten year old could abuse your voting machines, let alone a nation state.
There is plenty of good info on how poor the current security is.

As for your initial post, why on earth would anyone think anything other than the US having such plans in place?
I sincerely hope your spooks WILL be at least trying to minimise the interferance this time, the messing started before Trumps election.
Literally. There was a huge convention on computer security a few months back, where children were invited to hack replicas of the websites that will be used during the mid-terms. Most of the kids went through the websites' security measures like a hot knife through butter.

Literally. There was a huge convention on computer security a few months back, where children were invited to hack replicas of the websites that will be used during the mid-terms. Most of the kids went through the websites' security measures like a hot knife through butter.
As you mentioned 'literally' let's not also forget the equipment onsite has also traditionally had open USB ports that ANYONE could easily access..........and this from a country that has introduced bugs via USB ports and is worried about vote rigging.

It might help if the US didn't have a completely stupid and unprotected (cyber wise) voting system.
A ten year old could abuse your voting machines, let alone a nation state.
There is plenty of good info on how poor the current security is.
This is what you need

pencil.jpg

Wine isn't that just fermented warm grape juice??

I need a few more bottles of Bourbon, Scotch, and Whiskey....oddly enough whenever I do seem to get something new my dad and brother find out and help me drink it...
That's what families are for. Everybody helps everyone, wanted or not.